Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
rjd's blog View Details
Archive for June, 2012
Posted by rjd | Jun 29, 2012 @ 01:16 AM | 3,026 Views
Another day, another deck house...
Posted by rjd | Jun 28, 2012 @ 12:58 AM | 3,010 Views
I've been working on adding details to the deck houses. Specifically, I'm adding brass bars to many of the windows. This has become a slow and tedious process, but plan to post pictures soon as each house is completed.

I just finished another "deck house" this evening. Once again, I took some "creative liberties" by following my wife's suggestion on the choice of wood, and by adding a brass trim.

Note: once I know the exact location of each house, I will be sanding the base to fit the curve of the deck.
Posted by rjd | Jun 22, 2012 @ 01:02 AM | 3,138 Views
The booms and remaining deck houses have received three coats of varnish. I intend to continue working on adding details, but won't be installing remaining deck houses until I can verify that their location doesn't interfere with any of the fittings or sheet lines.
Posted by rjd | Jun 18, 2012 @ 12:44 AM | 3,951 Views
Haven't spent much time in the garage "aka Man Cave" lately, but I have put together some pieces for the next stage of the build. I took some time to work on the boom (made out of balsa sandwiched between Purple Heart), and the boom vang (modified Pekabe compression strut).

I have made a decision regarding the sail winch. I will be using a non-proportional Bremel winch that Bob Eger put together for me. Though it does not reflect the most recent proportional technology, I am thrilled with it's power (+/-1600 oz./in.), how it works, and how it was put together (thanks Bob!).

The attached pictures provide an update on the booms, and provide a glimpse into how Don Prough intended to place the sail winch, jib trim, and rudder servo. I am toying with following this layout; however, I'm also exploring mounting the winch and servo's so that the keel weight can be removed without moving anything.