JJ460's blog - RC Groups
JJ460's blog View Details
Posted by JJ460 | Mar 09, 2014 @ 01:10 AM | 2,672 Views
I have designed and built a working retract setup for the Parkzone UM Mosquito. It only adds about 2 grams per side for the servos. I printed out an information sheet, pics, and a you tube vidio of the left side operation.
More as I complete the right side.

You tube video is
Mosquito Micro Retractable Landing Gear (0 min 17 sec)

called Mosquito Micro Retractable Landing Gear
and shows the first side completed and functional.

YouTube video is [url]http://youtu.be/oNxp0YeRa80
called Mosquito Micro Retractable Landing Gear #2
and shows both sides completed and functional. 3/22/2014
Posted by JJ460 | Jul 23, 2013 @ 10:36 PM | 4,421 Views
Well I finally decided to go ahead with a micro spitfire and do the mods for retractable landing gear and a brushless motor.7-23-2013
8-8-2013 finished the build on the Retractable Landing Gear and maidened with stock motor and HP180mah batts. Flew very scale but only for about 2 minutes before the LVC shut down the motor. I cut the batt compartment a little deeper and put the HK nanotch 260mah 35C batts in. That gave about 4 minutes of full maneauvers and power for a smooth landing. weight increase for the RGL was 2.7gr.

video at Youtube:

Spitfire UM with Retractable LG 1 0003 (1 min 4 sec)
function shots

Um Spitfire AS3X (4 min 1 sec)
...Continue Reading
Posted by JJ460 | Jul 03, 2013 @ 08:17 PM | 3,108 Views
I was having a great day flying and just tuning the trims on my KMX when the motor exploded out the front of the cowling. The front of the motor mount disintigrated. Fortunately I was high enough to achieve some dead stick landing speed and just fluffed her into the grass with out additional damage.
During the build I followed the instructions about how to re-enforce the back of the motor mount, which I did. Of course the front failed instead.
I am hoping the PA forums have some info on how to fix this damage so it flys again.
Posted by JJ460 | May 31, 2013 @ 02:25 PM | 3,443 Views
This is the new release KMX with a 57" wingspan. Weight is only 60oz flying so the wing loading is about 11.5oz/ft2. Had a defective prop adapter when I tried to maiden her last week. I hope to retry Saturday June 1. The little plane is my 22" indoor experiment. 60oz KMX vs 1.5oz foamy.
Posted by JJ460 | Apr 18, 2013 @ 02:04 PM | 3,512 Views
This is the first build of the design that I assembled and tested on my Realflight simulator. I am building the first version out of 3mm Depron and CF to verify the parameters work in the real world. Then I will build a full CF structure to minimize the weight for the lightest possible wing loading. Third, will be a larger model out of all CF. The goal is to achieve the slowest flying acrobatic plane I can for F3P type maneavers.
I started with the simulator modifications, made a poster board template and now I am cutting and milling the 3mm depron. pics attached.

4/20/2013 added a pic of the milling step. I am leaving a 0.3 mm thick membrane on one side. This is done by hand with a Ryobi router..
4/21/2013 added pic of the completed milling. 22% net reduction in weight.

5/20/2013 finished the build. Weight came in at 47gr flying weight. So the size increased 25% and the weight reduced 22% from the first build. The HK Hextronix motor is on the weak side with 54gr of static thrust (2S) and a 6" PZ prop. Replaced the LG with a single pogo stick to save weight.

6/5/2013 Flew this morning in light wind. As expected it was pushed around a lot but with the CG at 35% it didn't need any trim adjustments. The motor measured pretty weak on the test bench but managed to pull verticle during the test flight. I will do the first indoor this friday..
Posted by JJ460 | Feb 28, 2013 @ 04:31 PM | 3,485 Views
This is my latest project. It is the Tech One Sbach. Weighs in at 5oz flying. I added the SFG's based on the RealSim flight tests. Hope to maiden it Friday at Mac Ctr.
Posted by JJ460 | Jan 24, 2013 @ 11:45 PM | 3,991 Views
The P-51 is finished and ready to do a maiden flight. The pics show the monocoat covering attempt. Not great up close, but it puts a shine on and stiffens up the structure too. I have two sets of blades to test, a 8x4x3bl and a 9x5x3bl set. scale would call for the 9" if the amps don't get to high.
Posted by JJ460 | Jan 15, 2013 @ 07:52 PM | 3,762 Views
Here are some pics of various components. My previous post did not get sent to the blog. I don't know where it got posted......
Notice the spinner backing plates are now drilled for air flow through to the motors. All the propellor parts are balanced seperately and indexed.
The 9 channel receiver is plugged for an independent BEC and two esc's for the motor controls with a common main battery.
The silver/green P-51 is "Precious Metal" the reno racer with CRP's.
Posted by JJ460 | Jan 13, 2013 @ 10:04 PM | 3,691 Views
Pics of my current project. This is an Airfield Models modified to have CRP (countra rotating propellors), retracts, lights. Wingspan is 31". The paint is being removed so the body can be covered in polished aluminum.
Posted by JJ460 | Jan 09, 2013 @ 01:13 PM | 3,696 Views
These are the pics that John took of the P51 57" on its first days at MAM.
Posted by JJ460 | Dec 30, 2012 @ 12:12 AM | 4,009 Views
Drop (3 min 30 sec)