YarSmythe's blog View Details
Posted by YarSmythe | Sep 03, 2006 @ 05:42 PM | 12,968 Views
In the early 80's, my father bought and built a kit from Midwest Products called the "LiveWire Champion MkIII". He didn't like that long name and shortened it to The Yellow Peril. I typically call it the "Champ".

He flew it successfully for a few years. After one pretty serious wreck, the tail was severed. It was shelved away for a few years until I came along and rebuilt the tail. I flew it for many years with an O/S .20 engine. About 4 years ago I threw on an old Master Airscrew brushed motor that 'barely' got it airborne. Due to the weight of the battery and the poor performance (both motor and flight characteristics), I too, shelved it.

My father has been gone for 10 years. I miss him a lot. He got me in this hobby over 20 years ago and every time I'm in my hobby room I feel his presence (and sometimes his instructions!). Something made me look at the ol' Champ in the closet and dust it off. Maybe it was time to install some new electronic goodies and fly her again.

The monokote on the wing had aged badly. It had several holes and tape patches. About a month ago I removed all the covering (took a week), repaired several broken ribs and sheeting areas, and recovered it with TopFlite Monokote Cub Yellow. Looks good!

I then purchaed a new Himax 3618-2300 from Esprit Models (50% off) to replace the brushed motor. After quickly installing it, I decided to give the plane a 'test flight' just to see how well everything was...Continue Reading
Posted by YarSmythe | Aug 21, 2006 @ 09:02 PM | 8,245 Views
I normally would start a thread in the forums to talk about a new plane...but since my blog is empty...I figured I could discuss my 'mystery' ship so I don't bore the regular forum readers out there.

What we have here are the spare parts from an Esky Honey Bee. It flew just fine the first month or two. After a few crashes, she stopped being user-friendly. I probably spent more money on blades, motors and rotor parts than the cost for the copter itself. After the last crash, I yanked off all the electronics and hung the "shell" in my son's room.

I've got a perfectly good radio, receiver and two micro servos...not to mention the 400 size motor. A ton of Dow Fan Fold Foam has been sitting in my garage for over a year and some new Midwest foam has been on my mind for the past month. Now is the time to dust off the kitchen counter and put knife to foam and get cracking.

...as they say, more to come!