Dan Halverson's blog - RC Groups
Dan Halverson's blog View Details
Posted by Dan Halverson | Apr 01, 2011 @ 07:29 AM | 4,460 Views
Latest update on the decathlon: The plane is now complete and ready for maiden this weekend. Here's are some specs:

Motor - Power160 (10S w/20x8 prop)
Jeti 77 OPTO
Power HD and Hitec servos
Hyperion UBEC

AUW is around 13lbs and the motor should pull around 2500 watts - Should be exciting to fly
Posted by Dan Halverson | Nov 20, 2010 @ 01:02 PM | 4,076 Views
Almost finished with the build! Got the wheels pants and landing gear mounted, fin, rudder, & gear mounted. Wings are complete just have to fit the struts. The tail feathers are finished just need to be covered and mounted. Cowl has the base coat on and trimming will be done after the motor is mounted.
Posted by Dan Halverson | Nov 13, 2010 @ 12:37 PM | 3,609 Views
I was able to get some more covering done. Worked on the fuse, fin, & rudder. Finishing up the other wheel pant and started working on the cowl. Here's a few more pics.
Posted by Dan Halverson | Oct 28, 2010 @ 09:51 PM | 3,822 Views
Well, I got around to covering a wing half today. I think it turned out pretty good. Color match seems to be pretty good as well too.
Posted by Dan Halverson | Oct 25, 2010 @ 11:25 PM | 3,805 Views
Well, I've made some more progress. The fuse is starting to take shape as I completed the belly pan underneath and cut some air exit holes. The wings are almost complete, just have the leading edge and wing tip to do on the left wing and they will be complete. Got some of the pin striping done on the pant - now to put some clear coat and get these finished up too. Here are a few more pics of the recent progress.
Posted by Dan Halverson | Oct 20, 2010 @ 09:48 AM | 4,743 Views
Started working on the wheel pants. I was torn between using the ABS plastic parts in the kit or just buying the fiberglass pants & cowl for the kit. But I decided to save the $80 and try the ABS parts. Not too bad, just cut the 2 pieces for the pants, glue them together with CA, and then fill in the cracks, sand, prime and paint. Looks pretty good too, especially saving $80 bucks so I'm glad I decided to try the ABS parts first. Here are some pics, just need to put the pin strip on the pants and clear coat for the finishing touch.
Posted by Dan Halverson | Oct 20, 2010 @ 08:27 AM | 5,266 Views
Third comes the fuse - a lot of lite ply cutouts for the fuse. Went together very easy with little sanding needed to get the parts to fit perfectly. Here are some pics with a battery hatch since I intend this one to be electric.
Posted by Dan Halverson | Oct 20, 2010 @ 08:25 AM | 5,352 Views
Second on the list are the wings: Look over the instructions well, don't skip anything and be sure to cross check with the plans on every step and your wings will come out flawless. Here are a few pics of the wing in process and half of a completed wing. The wing is two piece for easy transportation.
Posted by Dan Halverson | Oct 20, 2010 @ 08:17 AM | 6,167 Views
I've started my build and have enjoyed it so far. First on the list were the tail feathers. These were pretty straight forward, cut the sticks to size and glue. I've done a little sanding and shaping on the LE, but I will do more before covering.