RCB1's blog - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
RCB1's blog View Details
Posted by RCB1 | Oct 05, 2008 @ 11:18 PM | 3,180 Views
Our club, the Southern Indiana Flying Eagles, meets the first Sunday of every month. For the past several months, it would be hard to have a better day, and today was no exception.

As I mentioned last time, the packs on the Venus were getting more than a little warm. There were two things I changed. One; I moved the timing on the ESC from high to low. I had moved it to high under caution that it might burn the motor up. However, this is a 400kv Turnigy, so its not a "high performance" motor. Second; I added ventilation openings. I was going to wait until I restore the Venus this winter, but with the larger prop (14x9 3 blade) it was just pulling too much juice. With the vent holes now in place, it helps tremendously. This winter I will install scoops to make it a little more efficient.

The Tusk Eagle flew great. Oh, that reminds me... a piece of advice.


Naturally, experience should always be valued, however sometimes simple oversights are made. As I mentioned last time, it seemed that we had lost a mixture control screw over the field. We didn't fly last weekend due to this. ordered a new one. Got to the field and was going to install it. Guess what? It was still in there. The person who had checked it when my fiancee was getting ready to take it up, wasn't used to the OS FX motors and how far back the mixture screw sat. Oh well.. now we have a spare at least.

All in all it was a great day. A good turn out with a lot of planes (for our club ) great weather and equally great camaraderie! Next weekend is a fly in, in Columbus Indiana. Hopefully it will be just as pleasant.
Posted by RCB1 | Sep 29, 2008 @ 10:42 AM | 3,505 Views
Well, we took the Eagle 2 and the Venus back out. Last Sunday the Eagle 2 cut out on its second flight. I just assumed it had died due to low throttle. When we broke it out this weekend, we noticed that the fuel mixture control screw was missing. I am guessing it vibrated out over the field somewhere. So now I will be on the hunt for a new one.

The Venus did fine again. I moved up to a 14x9 three blade. Definitely a little more punch but its really pulling more juice out of the batteries. They got rather toasty. I was going to wait to put in vents when I refurbish it this winter, but I think I will go ahead and install them now. On the first flight, I managed to find a large hole in the flight field. I didn't know it was there before, but I sure do now! It knocked the support out, along with the landing gear. It was a clean break though and 45 minutes later I was back up in the air.
Posted by RCB1 | Sep 21, 2008 @ 07:42 PM | 3,373 Views
Well, After several months of refurbishing, we got the Eagle 2 up in the air, as well as the GP Venus that I converted over to electric.

The Eagle was covered in homage to the Tuskegee who were treated so poorly where our flight field is located (Freeman Field, Seymour Indiana). Her ailerons were a little weak and one of the muffler bolts vibrated loose, but nothing terrible. Flew pretty well!

The Venus was amazing, considering it has been beaten severely by the previous owner. I only had 4s with me that were fully charged. It took a little longer run, but it flew like it was on rails! It was just a whisper. I look forward to next week with some fully charged 5s.

Assuming all goes well, I will recover the poor old battered Venus. What a great flying plane!