New Products Flash Sale
Xpress..'s blog View Details
Posted by Xpress.. | Nov 10, 2016 @ 04:03 PM | 1,832 Views
It's been a while since I made a blog entry, I figure I'll fill in what I have been up to. To keep a long story short, Aerobeez has generously offered to me a team sponsorship and has given me the opportunity to test out their new prototype 126" Extra 300.

Airplane specs:

-126" wingspan
-126" long
-40lbs dry weight
-ZDZ180B2RV-J CHAMPION engine
-Falcon 32x12
-Hitec HS-7980TH x6
-Hitec HS-M7990TH x2
-Hitec HS-5565MH x2

Another fellow team pilot Santiago had the airplane in his hands earlier this year and did a lot of testing with a DA-200 and a full 13 servos with the airplane flying at close to 50lb.

3D Night Flying at Joe Nall 2016 - Part 4 (6 min 20 sec)


It flew very well and tracked very true, the 200 having more than enough to haul the airplane around. Fast forward to August this year I wound up with the airplane in my hands and got to work getting it back in tip top shape. The airplane sat in a warehouse in LA during the middle of the summer heat so it was in desperate need of TLC which I was happy to oblige to. I thoroughly enjoy working on these airplanes as much as I enjoy flying them so it was no big deal.

Many hours with the covering iron later and she was looking fresh and renewed, ready for equipment to go in. I decided that I was going to take a more conservative approach with the servo count since it has provisions for 3 servos per aileron, 2 per elevator half, and 2 for the rudder, instead opting to go with 2...Continue Reading
Posted by Xpress.. | Feb 27, 2010 @ 09:32 PM | 142,978 Views
Well, after digging through some stuff today, I came across the beaten and slightly bashed Mountain Models Slipso fuselage I had placed inside a box for when I was moving. I remember working on the wing a year and a half or so ago, trying to give it a nice smooth airfoil, then coat it in epoxy and give it a nice finish

Welp, dug out the wing, and taped it to the fuselage ( ), and am going to work on it tomorrow or sometime, converting it to a nice micro sloper (or maybee back to a high speed plane..)
Posted by Xpress.. | Dec 05, 2009 @ 10:06 PM | 145,902 Views
Ok, made another battle bot today, using more HS55s. They still have the stupid wandering problem, so it's impossible to center them. But it works good

The flipper arm I have can easily flip a 75g box, which is good because the max weight is 75 grams for bots.

Here's some pics. I'll make another entry with a video.

Also, here's a video of a saw i'm working on to chomp through bots and flip them all around

Micro Battle Bot chomping saw (0 min 23 sec)

Posted by Xpress.. | Dec 05, 2009 @ 12:14 AM | 146,610 Views
Okay, so i made this little guy today for battle at an upcomming show.

They're pretty easy to make, and only require a few simple things a lot of people might have lying around.

Materials list:

Pieces of 3mm and 6mm dperon (or cardboard)
2, 7-9 gram high speed servos
Scraps of carbon fiber flats, or balsa wood (for strength)
Hot Glue
Micro receiver
2s 200-400 mah lipo
Small BEC
Small motor with Rx connector wired up (for a simple saw)
Elevon mixing

Now, you can build pretty much any shape robot you want- I myself am going for a small design under 75 grams, and smaller than a 4" square box (for the competition).

First step is to modify your servos, so that they will drive continuously, and not stop when you push the sticks to the full (they will stop moving once at center).

Follow this link for step by step instructions to modify your servos:

http://letsmakerobots.com/node/4873

Once you have done that, you can now either make some wheels out of foam or cardboard, and glue them to a servo arm, or cut some pushrods the same diameter as the hole in the servos output head, and use some wheels that have the same diameter hole as the axle, and glue them into place (carefully! you don't want to freeze the output head in place!).

Now, assemble everything onto the chassis, and then begin to build foam around everything. First, make the sides of the bot, so nothing gets in the way of the wheels. Now, make the front, and rear. Typically, you...Continue Reading
Posted by Xpress.. | Mar 09, 2009 @ 02:05 PM | 145,597 Views
Well recently being moved from my old workshop (as well as my big flying space ), I had to setup a new one. Luckily, the new house I've moved to had a basement room that I'm using as a current workshop. There's just enough space to store all of my gear in there, and have a good space to work on.

I've only built (well, rebuilt) one plane on it sofar, and it's working good sofar. Gotta add more pegboard on the workshop wall, and all the holders for all of my tools. Also, probably going to build a charging station, when I get a few more chargers.