T3chDad's blog archive for July, 2007 - RC Groups
T3chDad's blog View Details
Archive for July, 2007
Posted by T3chDad | Jul 29, 2007 @ 10:10 AM | 5,081 Views
Lost orientation...too far away. Oh well, I guess I was looking for an excuse to start version 2.
Posted by T3chDad | Jul 27, 2007 @ 07:12 PM | 5,966 Views
The entire modification took about two hours. The whole landing gear setup weights 1.75oz. It cost me about $20. It only takes two minutes to install or uninstall it via the 5 nylon bolts. It's a blast to taxi this thing around ("here kitty, kitty") as well as do touch-and-go's over and over and over.

As expected, the gear has degraded flight performance. She'll still roll like crazy, but I can hardly get her to loop. She needs a moderate (about 50') take off roll and she rotates and climbs...not just lift off the ground. She's still very stable in flight slow and fast high or low. You do have to fly her in for the most part.

All in all, I'm glad I did this mod...I just think I need a little more power now.
Posted by T3chDad | Jul 25, 2007 @ 10:58 AM | 4,804 Views
…The SUPER Cat!

I started with modifying a picture I found on page three of the 24" House Cat thread. I used this for inspiration. Then I grabbed the 24” version of the plans for the House Cat. Once I had the plans printed out, I started modifying them based on my inspiration image. Several hours later, I had the airframe complete. When cutting-out all the pieces, I was mindful where all the writing was on the back side of the blucore so I wouldn’t have all the black logos and writing showing. I masked the stripes with blue painters tape and brushed on $.50 craft paint. After all the painting and sanding was done, I sprayed on many coats of Minwax water-based polycrylic (can is in pictures).

She flies like a dream. Very stable flight both slow and fast, high and low. The canards had much more effect on flight than I thought. I have about +1* incidence added to the canards. I love flying around the field 1'-2' off the deck...punching the throttle and going vertical several hundred feet...killing the throttle and letting her dive and glide past silently. She will hover very easily in a moderate head-wind. Also, the canards make this plane quite forgiving IMO.

I am currently contemplating a detachable landing gear platform with tricycle gear so I can taxi her around and do touch-and-go's when I'm in that kind of a mood.

Some modification highlights:
1. Vertical stabs are two pieces of blucore laminated together
2. Full fuse for battery, ESC, Rx, and …. Looks!
3. Static Canards
4. Magnetically attached canopy.
5. Extended wingspan (2.5” each side)
6. More horizontal stab area

28” Wingspan
28” Length
9.5” Canard span
14oz AUW (5.5oz is the battery)
Powerplant: EMax CF2212 motor, APC 7x5 E Prop, 3S 2100mAh 20C
3x ESky 8g sub micro servos
Waypoint 25A ESC
AR6100 Rx
DX7 Tx