CaseySP's blog archive for November, 2008 - RC Groups
CaseySP's blog View Details
Archive for November, 2008
Posted by CaseySP | Nov 28, 2008 @ 08:56 AM | 9,504 Views
GWS Formosa Test Mule

A few details of my bungee ramp and hooks fitted to the aircraft.

The ramp was built from 15mm PVC pipe and 15mm connectors. You'll need:
  • 6 90 degree bends
  • 2 tee pieces with the top half cut off (see photos below)
  • 2 x 150mm lengths (back legs)
  • 2 x 400mm lengths (front legs)
  • 2 x 350mm lengths (spreaders/bottom feet)
  • 2 x 1200mm lengths (rails)
  • 6 metres 6mm bungee cord (shock cord)
  • 6 metres of nylon cord (spektra)
  • 4 x metal rings (key rings)

The whole ramp and bungee breaks down to a small bag (pinched from an outdoor chair) that I can sling over my shoulder for my short walk to the airfield. Also takes up next to no room in the boot (trunk) of the car for drives to other fields.

I have glued the 90 degree pieces to spreaders/bottom feet and the end of the rails as shown in the photos. This keeps the parts count down and speeds up assembly and disassembly.

The tee pieces have to tops cut off so there is no "step" in the rail to impeded the accelerating aircraft. These are also glued to the bottom of the rails.

The nylon cord is tied off on the ring attached to the end of the bungee cord such that there is one 2m length (for the aircraft attachment ring) and one 4m length (for the release ring).

You will note I use 4 metal tent pegs to secure everything. One peg has the end straightened out. This is my launch peg, it gets hammered into the ground leaning slightly towards the bungee anchor and with about 5cm out of the...Continue Reading
Posted by CaseySP | Nov 23, 2008 @ 05:49 AM | 7,523 Views
After the successful test flight, it was time for the finishing touches.

The remnants of the original paint were removed with methylated spirits, creases and joins filled with Red Devil lightweight filler, then a new coat of paint applied to replicate the colours of Francis "Gabby" Gabreski's P47 "HV-A".

No one seems to know exactly how the Gabby P47 was finished, so I chose a version that looked good for orientation - invasion stripes on the lower half only.

I found an article that quoted Gabreski stating that his planes were painted in RAF colours applied in the "German way".

So I used the following colours (all Tamiya spray cans):
  • AS-9 Dark Green (RAF)
  • AS-10 Ocean Grey (RAF)
  • AS-11 Medium Sea Grey (RAF)

I am indebted to Cuban08 (Sam) for sending me his decal files.
Posted by CaseySP | Nov 23, 2008 @ 05:32 AM | 7,139 Views
The next step was to replace and repair the crushed foam. New depron sheet was cut to shape and rolled to follow the original cross sections. Joins between the old and new foam were backed up with depron foam - also rolled to the right shape.

Glues used were UHU Creativ for foam, 30 min Z-Epoxy & Weldbond....Continue Reading
Posted by CaseySP | Nov 23, 2008 @ 04:44 AM | 6,722 Views
The first job was to replace the shattered fuselage longerons. Using the old ones as guides, new ones were cut from spruce stock, paying careful attention to not change the thrust angle of the re-attached firewall. There was enough good foam left on the starboard side to help out here.
Posted by CaseySP | Nov 23, 2008 @ 02:18 AM | 6,360 Views
I've posted these before, but may as well put them here in my blog, as there is a twist to the tail...

I had had some issues with the hatch flying off the P47 in gusty conditions. It happened three times of the previous flight, and a couple of times in other sessions. Nonetheless I pushed on until the hatch flew off again, except instead of flying harmlessly away, this time it embedded itself in the fin. This caused the P47 to immediately pitch straight down and hit the ground vertically from about 20 meters. Right in front of me too, so I had a grandstand view of it all happening.
Posted by CaseySP | Nov 13, 2008 @ 07:26 AM | 6,490 Views
My Alfa Mig 15 was damaged in the box, so I picked it up with a decent discount. There was fairly major creasing around the nose, with minor damage over the rest of the fuselage. The wings, fin and tailplane was in perfect condition.

Searching through the RCGroups forums I found a few threads that described how to remove creases using a covering iron and wet paper towels. Taking it easy, I was able to steam the worst of the creases out and under the decals they are barely noticeable.

The Mig is one of my favorites. So nice and easy to fly, handles a bit of wind without any problems, and the ROG impresses everyone who has not seen it before.
Posted by CaseySP | Nov 01, 2008 @ 08:15 AM | 6,434 Views
Here's a short video of my Alfa Corsair on the bungy launch ramp.
Takes all the nerves out of launching and saved this model on its maiden.

Alfa Corsair Ramp launch
Posted by CaseySP | Nov 01, 2008 @ 07:48 AM | 5,972 Views
My current collection of electric warbirds.

Alfa MIG-15 ducted fan
Motor - eWatts/Turnigy B20-30-15S 6200kV
ESC - eWatts Sword 30A
Battery - Awesome Power 3S 1500mAH 20C
Fan - Alfa 3 blade
Alfa Corsair F4U-1
Motor - eWatts/Turnigy 2213
ESC - eWatts Sword 18A
Battery - Dualsky 3S 1000mAh 20c / Loong Max 1300mAh 20c
Prop - APC 9x4.5E
GWS Focke Wulf 190
Motor - eWatts/Turnigy 2217
ESC - Hextronic 36A
Battery - RCModelpart 3S 2200mAh 20c
Prop - APC 9x6SF / APC 10x5E
edit - formatting