kdwzagi's blog archive for October, 2011 - RC Groups
kdwzagi's blog View Details
Archive for October, 2011
Posted by kdwzagi | Oct 29, 2011 @ 02:24 PM | 2,898 Views
the rudders have been shaped and covered in black heatshrink
still not glued them on yet. think I'm going to get all the bits done and then have a final fit. just a bit worried that I'll turn it around and snap the fin off
Posted by kdwzagi | Oct 28, 2011 @ 11:26 AM | 3,996 Views
I've carefully opened up the fin slots in the top skin. inserted the fins and tested the rudders. they seem to work fine. will be interesting to see how they perform in flight

Short rudder test video

Posted by kdwzagi | Oct 27, 2011 @ 03:43 PM | 3,798 Views
The top skin leading edge was sanded back to the false leading edge. the first two 6mm leading edges were then glued on. once dry the lower wing skin leading edge was sanded back to the leading edge strips. last of all the front leading edge was glued on. this overlaps the lower skin. sanding these leading edges is next. getting the fuselage front section to mate nicely with the leading edges will be quite a challenge :-(
Posted by kdwzagi | Oct 26, 2011 @ 09:18 PM | 3,054 Views
I added some extra depron blocks where the hinges will be and threaded string through the ribs to pull the servo wires. the top 3mm wing skin was sanded to a sharp edge at the trailing edges. the skins were glued on and held in place with lots of tape while it dried. the servo holes were cut out and the servos dry fitted
Posted by kdwzagi | Oct 25, 2011 @ 09:22 PM | 3,976 Views
the fins are built up from a sheet of 3mm balsa with outer depron 3mm skins

the edges of the depron are pinched in to form a bit of an Aerofoil and the front edges sanded round
Posted by kdwzagi | Oct 24, 2011 @ 04:07 PM | 3,946 Views
I've added some elevon servo boxes and sanded them smooth to the ribs.
the rear lower skin has been sanded and the rear section of the centre rib fitted.
Posted by kdwzagi | Oct 24, 2011 @ 07:50 AM | 2,872 Views
the rudders have a hole drilled in the bottom edge and a simple L shaped piano wire inserted. this is then joined to the 2mm carbon push rod with a bouble thickness of heat shrink tube. cutting the carbon tube to the correct length is important but the L shaped piano wire can be bent to adjust a slight error

the piano wire will be epoxied into the rudders once the wing top skin is in place
Posted by kdwzagi | Oct 23, 2011 @ 08:01 AM | 3,359 Views
the rudder is linked to a central servo with some push rods. a central 1.6mm piano wire is joined to 2mm rarbon rods with shrink tubing. the rudders will have piano wire torque rods that link to the carbon rods
Posted by kdwzagi | Oct 19, 2011 @ 03:36 PM | 2,543 Views
the under side of the canopy needs to be sanded to suit the fuselage top. I've drawn a green line to show the extent of the sanding.
Posted by kdwzagi | Oct 19, 2011 @ 01:02 PM | 2,632 Views
Here's a quick cad video of all the bits coming together



Posted by kdwzagi | Oct 19, 2011 @ 03:15 AM | 3,097 Views
after building mk1 last year out of epp I thought it could be improved upon. I've ditched the epp and tweaked it here and there
Posted by kdwzagi | Oct 18, 2011 @ 05:05 PM | 3,708 Views
I've been building my own design pusher.
710mm wingspan 678mm long
mainly 6mm depron
twin carbon spars
twin rudders
260watt brushless 5*5 prop