rahtware's blog - RC Groups
rahtware's blog View Details
Posted by rahtware | Jul 12, 2012 @ 06:09 PM | 2,844 Views
Picked up a Super Cub a couple of days ago. I was planing on using it to teach my great nephews how to fly and discovered I really like the plane. For a trainer, it has a lot of good qualities and no (at least I haven't found any yet) bad ones. The only changes I; have made, or are planning to make are: I cut out the back of the battery box so the lipo's (including the stock one) fit without bending the wires, moved the plug on the plane to the opening I cut, and plan to extend these wires so I can more easily get to them. I plan on replacing the strut (are these really functional?) screws with some with hex heads as I have already striped out the stock ones. I also plan on buying another wing to cut ailerons in as I know these young men will soon tire of figure 8's, loops and the occasional barrel roll.

I have to admit that this plane has exceeded all my expectations. I am flying it at 70% (the built in low rates on the 5ch trans I plan on using as the slave, and find that It responds to slight stick movement, but handles large stick throws like I have expo turned on. I have tried a few stalls, both powered and non powered and found no bad traits as the nose drops straight ahead with no snap to the left or right. It preforms a nice loop with full power and I was even able to get it to loop at 2/3ds power with a little dive.

The 1300 battery gives plenty of run time and comes down cool when the plane is flown around at 1/2 throttle (as per the instructions). I see no reason for me to upgrade either motor or battery.
Posted by rahtware | Apr 03, 2012 @ 12:53 AM | 2,987 Views
I don't have a lot of time right now to work on this, but wanted to document the parts I am pulling off my Electra and what I am replacing them with.

Stock Power System: Carl Goldberg Turbo 550 with attached on/off switch and fuse (207g). On/off switch control servo with push rod (17g) This was one of the first truly micro servos that I was able to afford. Prop, Tornado 8x4 and spinner (28g).

New Power System: Super Tiger-10 (already in parts box) (69g). ESC (probably) Turnegy Plush 40-60 (33-42g). Prop (Prob) 11x6 folder, in the 50g range.

This change alone saves over 100 grams in weight, and more than doubles the watts.

Old Batteries: it took two, a RC car battery (311g) for the motor and a 4s flight pack with switch (117g).

New Battery: 3s 2200mah (181g)

This will save almost 250 grams, for a total of around 350 grams or 3/4 of a POUND! That doesn't include changing out the servos (lighter) and extending the nose (heaver), but I think I am on the right track.
Posted by rahtware | Mar 21, 2012 @ 10:05 AM | 3,092 Views
Started a new bird and was going to order a motor, but while checking my past orders I discovered I had already ordered a like motor. Digging through my parts box I found the motor in a bag titled "for future builds". Thinking it would be nice to have all my orders listed on a spreadsheet (so I wouldn't have to go through each one every time I was preparing an order) I decided to try to "copy & paste", and it worked!

How to:
1. Open your account on Hobby King.
2. Click the: "CHECK" after "Orders: ##".
3. Click the "View" box in front of an order.
4. Highlight the order. Note: I start after the last "reserved" and hold down the mouse until all of the "titles" (Code, Description, Qty, etc) are highlighted, then release the mouse botton.
5. Right click the highlighted text and click "Copy".
6. On your spreadsheet (all I have is Works, but it is good enough for this) click on the upper/left cell and paste the copied information.
7. Do the same for each order (pasting each order below the previous).

It is faster to do this than write or read about how to do it!
Posted by rahtware | Dec 01, 2011 @ 11:25 PM | 3,442 Views
Digging through my "plans box", an old "garden cart" box that just fits under my bed, I found the plans for my first three planes. the first was a Gentle Lady glider that I flew with a 2 ch Hobby Shack radio. The kit was given to me for helping a guy out who's truck wouldn't start (loaded with family and camping gear on memorial weekend) in 1980.

#2 was a three channel trainer kit, the Pilot QB15. This was a straight building/flying plane that I controlled with a brand new Futaba Gold 7 ch radio (big over-time check). I remember taking it to the local "public" field for the first flight. After checking it out and warming up the engine, I walked up to a group of old-timers to see if anyone would be willing to help me learn to fly it (I had about 30 flights on the GL by then). They actually flipped a coin to see who would be the "lucky" guy. I can't remember his name, but the man who helped me was one of the best teachers I have ever had and by the end of the second day I was flying completely solo... (and not a hazard to person or property!)

About a year later I ran into Bob of Astro Flight and decided to try an E-powered plane, the E-Sport.. After destroying it on the first flight (with the weight of the motor/battery/radio equipment of the day, the stall speed was about 5mph under it's top speed!) I renamed it the E-Spot.
Posted by rahtware | Nov 26, 2011 @ 01:13 PM | 5,155 Views
This is the first photo I took of my build of this plane. Smooth build so far, just now coming up on the real challenges; wing center section with window, scale radial engine, LG and etc.

Untitled (0 min 19 sec)