burkefj's blog archive for November, 2011 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
burkefj's blog View Details
Archive for November, 2011
Posted by burkefj | Nov 28, 2011 @ 01:45 AM | 10,142 Views
Here is a full fuse space shuttle I worked on over the holiday, in between working on my 72" tall Pershing 1A rocket.

26" ws and 35" long, approx 14oz rtf with loaded motor and 1s 500mah lipo. CG is 14" forward from the TE of the elevon at the root, and should be approx as shown on the plans if for some reason they get scaled, double check. This is with loaded motor in place and battery in place, this is the most rearward you should launch, cg moves approx 1" forward after burnout and is compensated with some up trim, I set this with the flap elevator trim on my DX-8 transmitter so I can just flip a switch to the glide setting, approx 3/16" to 1/4" of up, I also use a small amount of down trim for boost, also on the flap switch, approx 1/8" down.

This will be a simplified full fuse model designed for standalone rocket boosted rc flight.

****Reflections and Notes******

The nose will be laminated depron sanded to shape and the front will have a simplified angled flat plate design because I'm too lazy to do a multi piece compound curve and am trying to keep it simple. the rear will just be a flat plate with the payload bay going all the way to the back. If you want to create oms pods etc you can add them or add the equivalent pieces to what the Buran had. You can roll cones for nozzles from 2mm or 3mm depron and glue to the rear plate if desired. You may need to protect the lower nozzles from exhaust damage.
The wing and tail...Continue Reading
Posted by burkefj | Nov 04, 2011 @ 02:26 PM | 13,177 Views
I'm re-working my profile X-20 rocket glider to have a simple fuse shape to give it a bit more scale shape. I'll post photos as I go along and eventually update the plans. I adjusted the fuse profile a bit, you could build it as pure profile or add the side/top pieces.

I did wind up adding two carbon strips to the wing sides to help with flex on landing if you come in tail first, I felt there was a bit too much and it might crack on a hard pitch up tail first landing. It is now pretty stiff. The fuse pieces fit pretty well as cut, just minor trimming for each side as needed.

I finished the frame up and rough sanding, and did a gob of inside the house test glides to get the CG range, and double checked with my cg calculator and a couple of older threads on deltas, in addition to my profile version. I found with the full fuse that the CG was about 1/4" rear of the simple profile version. It was a bit more back than I had calculated but my test glides with a 20 degree nose up mush push glide produced the desired pitch over at the rearward CG.

I did two test flights this morning, using 3/4" up trim for post boost glide to compensate for the nose heavy condition. This was my first time launching by myself so I had to hold the battery and ignition wires in my left hand, cradle the radio and get on the sticks quickly I learned an important lesson doing this, on a cold day, do not stand directly behind the model, as it pitched forward and stayed in the exhaust...Continue Reading