UpNup's blog View Details
Archive for September, 2019
Posted by UpNup | Sep 29, 2019 @ 01:56 PM | 1,278 Views
My P-51B plans called for a tray between the wings. The tray fits into the fuselage. And when attaching the wing, there was a 3/8” gap. Lotsa balsa and plenty of basswood in that little tray. Not finished, but past this hurdle.

This portion had to be scratch-built because the plans didn’t come close to the reality of the wings and fuse. I was given good advice to complete the fuse and wings first and then custom-build the center tray.

Update: finished the tray and love the way it links the wings. The scoop is like a cool doodad hood ornament.

2nd Uodate. To make the wings balance I had to add shims on one side. Epoxied the wings on to the tray today. Big step of no return....Continue Reading
Posted by UpNup | Sep 15, 2019 @ 05:48 PM | 1,284 Views
Piecing together a canopy has been interesting. The acetate has to be curved. Fastening “glass” to the ply formers has been a challenge.

I started with cardboard cutouts. I had an old cowl that was perfectly curved. It also handles the heat from my heat gun.

Glues wouldn’t stick. I found that CA provided a strong surface. I used double-sided clear tape. It’s an experiment right now. However, I like the acetate the im using. Keeping the inside clean will be important.
Posted by UpNup | Sep 01, 2019 @ 01:26 PM | 1,880 Views
This balsa cowl was made for a P-51B from plans (Aerofred). I had seen lots of videos on how to make a plastic cowl using liter bottles. Several builders encouraged me to haul off and buy a $25-$40 fiberglass cowl online. What?! However, I wanted a lightweight wood cowl that I could make. It took about 10 hours, but I used materials I already had on hand, so technically it was a savings. And it won't take me nearly as long next time.

Needed:
Rare Earth Magnets (from Harbor Freight)
1/8" X 1/8" stringers (mine were basswood)
1/8" balsa sheet at least 3" wide
F1 and F2 formers from 1/8" basswood light ply
glue / epoxy -- I used Extreme Power medium CA and Titebond II
You need to have your motor on hand to get the measurements and centering correct -- I used a Great Planes Mount and a Rimfire .46 motor

Context: This balsa cowl will go with a P-51B-D. (A has the guns on top.)

Tips to watch as you go through it.

1. Make F1 and F2 first. Get them glued with balsa between them. My plans called for 3/8", so that meant three 1/8" sheet balsa glued together.
2. Cut out a full-size F3 on the fuse and your front 1/8" balsa should be 1/8" smaller all around than F2. You'll want to sheet/plank the former to blend with the angle on the F2. Cut 1/8" notches about 1" apart all around the formers.
3. Tack glue temporary guides inside the rear and front ends. By tack, I'm talking a tiny drop of CA near the motor...Continue Reading