UpNup's blog View Details
Archive for May, 2019
Posted by UpNup | May 27, 2019 @ 06:44 PM | 2,528 Views
Amazing that it took several free hours this weekend just to make one flap and an aileron. I’m trying to be careful, but wowzers. This is my second RC build from plans and no short kit this time. Gratification yes, instant no on this P-51B 57” WS.

Can I at least get a participation award? Ha!
Posted by UpNup | May 18, 2019 @ 06:08 PM | 2,691 Views
Major difference between cutting ply and ribs.

Ply requires tough love. Balsa ribs are like cutting through butter. Ply requires saving room on cuts so you can sand to the line. Balsa requires fluid smooth strokes right down the line. If balsa is poetry, ply is a tirade.

Used the drill bit in my hand drill. Blew smoke everywhere. Still looks like a badger made the inner circles.
Posted by UpNup | May 11, 2019 @ 08:41 PM | 2,169 Views
Through Facebook Marketplace I bought a Hawker Tempest by Airfield that has 800mm wingspan (31”). It’s a foamie and my first warbird. It was practically a barn find being covered in grime. The Tx came with it and one 1300 3S lipo. There was no wing bolt. Nothing more, but acceptable for just $25.

The seller was upfront that the motor didn’t work. However, my LHS discovered that the throttle setting switch had been reversed. And I later discovered that the 3mm motor mount screw was missing.

After cleaning off grime with a few drops of dishwashing liquid in a bowl of water, it cleaned right up. I etched the panel lines in a pencil and removed the guided bombs under the wings. Lightweight sparkling filled in the divots left where the bombs had been stuck to the wing. I painted over the splotches with flat Testors enamel paints.

I hope to fly it when I resolve CG issues that make a tip over on throttle up.
Posted by UpNup | May 11, 2019 @ 08:21 PM | 2,269 Views
My P-51B plans don’t call for an exhaust stack, so I had to invent one. Scale was tricky to get. However, the 5” x 3/4” size was derived by measuring my 1/48 scale plastic model and doing some math. And there are six pipes on each side.

I made the first draft by stacking and gluing strips of balsa. Then I drew half-inch circles on the wood 1/4” apart. I then used a reamer to hand-drill the exhaust ports by hand. I drilled these at about a 45 degree angle. I sanded, filled with lightweight spackling, and painted silver. I’ll weather it later.

To make the pipes, I cut 12 sections of a 1/16” thick black hose about 1/2” in diameter. I dry brush painted silver fading to the black. Then I cut out 1/8” rings from a 1/2” diameter thin plastic rod. I painted them flat black. I glued the rings on the end of the hose and inserted them into the base.

UPDATE: reworked the design. Painted base olive drab flat green and the pipes are from a window shade rod. They’re painted flat black. Much more scale.
Posted by UpNup | May 09, 2019 @ 02:43 PM | 1,872 Views
The stab and rudder on the P-51B is 1/4” thick. I cut and sanded the balsa. However, during sanding to taper the trailing edge, I broke the rudder in half - twice! I used blocks of balsa as repairs.

I used flexible hinges near the top, middle, and bottom. The horn is to be mounted outside.
Posted by UpNup | May 09, 2019 @ 11:42 AM | 1,935 Views
Building the P-51B takes two wheels .75 in. thick and 3” in diameter. The tail wheel is 1” in diameter and about a half-inch thick.

Yes I could have spent $12 to buy Williams Brothers excellent balloon tires. However, I could get some balsa stock for $4.

After research I built the wheels in layers. The hubcaps came from a thin sheet of modelers plastic—1/32” maybe. I used a 1/4” in. paper hole punch to make the revolver-patterned holes. They usually take 8 triangles, but I never was satisfied with test hubcaps. The plastic is crisp.

I don’t have a lathe or a way to screw these onto my drill. I cut the ply and balsa circles out using a micro-blade saw. I got close to the line. The 1/8” ply wanted to splinter. The 1/16” ply sheets were really solid.

The layers alternated left to right: 1/8” balsa, 1/16” ply, 3/32” balsa, 1/8” ply, 3/32” balsa, 1/16” ply, and 1/8” balsa. I carefully marked a center point on each circle poking they the template cut from the plans. On the outside balsa disks, I cut out holes for the hubcaps using the template from the plans. They were difficult to get truly circular.

The tailwheel was only one 1/8” ply middle and 1/8” balsa with the circles cut out. I did not add a hubcap to the tailwheel...yet.

After gluing, I stuck a T-pin thru the pre-drilled center holes and sanded the perimeter of the wheels. I taped a sheet of 100 grit sandpaper on my sork bench. I rocked the wheels while sanding. It was hard to sand the ply disks....Continue Reading
Posted by UpNup | May 02, 2019 @ 02:44 PM | 2,082 Views
Starting a new project building a P-51B Pony by Norman E Meyers from plans on Aerofred.

Started by using up scraps from old builds. This was an adventure with the elevator being 20” wide with thickish ribs. I have really found helpful taping two sheets of 150 grit sheets on my workbench.