UpNup's blog View Details
Archive for July, 2019
Posted by UpNup | Jul 22, 2019 @ 11:17 AM | 1,727 Views
Aces of Iron Products insisted on replacing the U.S. WW2 Fighter Pilot they sent due to some blemishes. This gave me the opportunity to paint one in a khaki color scheme. My figure is 1/7 scale.

Some tips to pass along:

1. Brush olive green paint into the folds of the coat and shadows.

2. Paint a very thin base color. A khaki camo rattle can spray was used making sure the dark colors showed through.

3. I wanted my pilot to have on a shirt and tie rather than an ascot. The tie and shirt collars were cut from a discarded foam elevator. CA was used to glue the pieces in place. The tie was painted khaki and shirt dark brown. The shirt was lightly dry-brushed with a lighter shade of brown to show some weathering. The tie was crammed in place and I left the wrinkles. They were glued at an angle to hide the lumpy ascot beneath.

4. Brush on enamel paints starting with the eyes and face. Generally follow the AoI painting tips. Enamels layer and don’t blend well. I’ve basically smeared the colors together using odorless mineral spirits on a clean brush.

5. Paint light colors to dark colors across the figure. It is okay to use gloss colors, but only if you plan to use a final lacquer coat at the end.

6. Touch up any spots that need to be brought back in line.

7. Washes: Mix one drop of brown paint with 10 drops of odorless mineral spirits. Use the wash on the life vest and white straps. Some can be used on the face, adding steaks below the eyes and in the...Continue Reading
Posted by UpNup | Jul 13, 2019 @ 12:58 PM | 3,472 Views
Wings for my P-51B were done or so I thought. I placed them side by side and saw that the left wing struts were 3/8” taller than those on the right side.

I’m building this warbird from plans, so I got lots of counsel on ways to even up the fixed landing gear:
:: make a smaller wheel for that side
:: tear out the gear and do it again
:: bend the strut wires forward and backward
:: just be prepared to hit the rudder when landing
:: buy retracts and install those
...and my least favorite:
:: throw away the whole wing half and make another one.

Now, which strut to fix—long one or short one? Someone said these planes are notorious for tip overs and you want the LG as far forward as possible. Check. Fix the short one.

I decided to tear out the landing gear, bend the 1/8” galvanized wire straight, then elbow 3/8” in a new place, and re-install.

Here’s a few hitches that I encountered:
:: I was out of 1/8” wire, so I had to stay with the short one.
:: everything shattered. It came out in pieces. I was able to glue the rib. Thankfully, I did have some bass 1/16” sheet.
:: the LG strut wire inside the plane was now 1/4” short of the basswood doubler. I had to make a shelf on which it could sit.

The fix went well. I had to make new basswood braces, add a new basswood panel, epoxy in the supports, and re-sheet 1/16” balsa.
Posted by UpNup | Jul 11, 2019 @ 04:27 PM | 3,145 Views
Both wings are finished and they have a 3° dihedral. I’m concerned about the wheel alignment. One seems a half inch ahead of the other. Wingspan is 57”.

Installed are four Hitech 425 Servos, four control rods and horns, landing gear, wheel pants of sorts with the insides painted flat zinc chromate, and wheels with hubs.
Posted by UpNup | Jul 03, 2019 @ 08:01 PM | 2,792 Views
Wings had a 3 degree incidence. The decision to use three dihedral variations made the sheeting somewhat of a challenge. I had to reduce the top curve of the biggest four ribs nearest the root. That was the only way to make the LE fit accurately.

Installed the 425 Hitec Digital Servos. I put rib strips over the open parts of the wings. At this point I plan to leave them open for weight mainly and to give easier access to the Servos. To unscrew the servo wheels I had to cut an access hole in an adjacent rib. I do not plan to make a hatch to the Servos.

The wings are 26”, fuse is 5”. 57” WS.