Toastermoore's blog View Details
Archive for June, 2014
Posted by Toastermoore | Jun 28, 2014 @ 11:16 AM | 5,323 Views
I finally got an 808 camera. Actually I got two: an 808 #16 with the D lens and something similar but lower resolution. Both came with completely exhausted batteries; they were used from ebay, after all. Well, after messing around with them and trying to charge them and figuring out that they seemed to work otherwise, I had the brilliant realization that the batteries are similar to the UM batteries. I cut the lead off the #16 battery, it has a plug, and spliced it with the lead cut off a dead champ board, carved a little hole in the case, and, voila, a swappable external battery. Now, doing this has one problem: the internal battery has a low voltage cutoff circuit on it, not the board, so I could could overdischarge my batteries. I estimate that they should run the camera for at least 30 minutes, so I'll swap them sooner. I have enough batteries. Also, the date and time reset every time the battery is unplugged. Anyway, it seems to work the way it should.

Name: P6288392.jpg
Views: 87
Size: 244.3 KB
Description: Name: P6288393.jpg
Views: 94
Size: 239.2 KB
Description:

I glued a little plate of dollar tree foam on the bottom of the champ just behind the landing gear and used a piece of double sided foam tape to stick the camera down. I pointed it back and to the side a bit, figuring it might look good. These cameras have a remarkably wide angle of view. It's almost fisheye.

...Continue Reading
Posted by Toastermoore | Jun 27, 2014 @ 10:06 AM | 4,973 Views
I suppose I'm going from last to first here; this is my latest build.

Polaris 1 (0 min 51 sec)


It's a Polaris shrunk down to a 13.5 inch wingspan for the guts from a Parkzone Pole Cat. It's built from dollar tree foam and a little balsa. I pretty much stuck to the plan except for the nacelle, which is just flat, hoping to save weight. Of course, then I had to sandwich it with balsa to stiffen it, so I don't know how much I saved. I stiffened the vertical stabilizer and wing with a bit of carbon tow glued to each side. It is the black stripe on the wing. This seems to stiffen the foam up significantly, adds hardly any weight, and lays completely flat. I tape it down at each end and work glue into it with a squeegee. I bought a package at the LHS, six or ten feet and many, many more fibers than these planes need. I will probably never need to buy more unless I start building much larger.

The servos on the brick control the rudder and the ailerons using the bellcrank from the polecat. There is a bit more slop in that linkage than I'd like, but I couldn't see how else to do it. If I'd had another servo, I'd have run one on each side. The elevator servo is up behind the motor and I spliced extensions onto both the motor and it, as the brick is way up in the nose. I'm a little bothered by the resistance losses with long motor wires, but I don't know how much it matters and I have no wattmeter to test with. I had to muddle around a bit to get the sticks linked to...Continue Reading
Posted by Toastermoore | Jun 21, 2014 @ 05:53 PM | 5,236 Views
I've been lurking here for a little while now and thought I'd try being more active on the forum. So hello, forumland.

I hope to post some of the planes I build and the modifications I do, if they work well. I know that I have found some great information here and sometimes failed to find what I am looking for.

Here are my aircraft:
Hobbyzone Champ
Parkzone Pole Cat
Parkzone Mini Vapor
StevensAero LiddleGee
Micro Stingray
Dumas walnut scale Tiger Moth
E-flite MSRx

All of these are flown with a Walkera DEVO 7e running Deviation. Perhaps I will start with my radio. This has to be the best deal in modern transmitters. It is a fully programmable computer radio with powerful mixing abilities for only about $60. It has perhaps a few flaws: one, you have to install the Deviation firmware, which isn't hard but makes some people nervous, two, the instructions for the firmware are a bit sparse, and three, it is crippled for range so as not to compete with their more expensive radios. This hasn't been a problem for me as my fleet is all micro and I like to fly close in so I can see what I'm doing. I'm aiming to help fix the second with this blog

Here are a few things which make this radio so cool:
  • Every plane gets a throttle kill switch
  • I have programmed a mix in for the Champ and LiddleGee to add some down elevator as the throttle is advanced. I can turn this off if I want but never do. It really makes flying these guys easier than holding down
...Continue Reading