Edge767's blog View Details
Archive for July, 2011
Posted by Edge767 | Jul 19, 2011 @ 12:11 AM | 5,309 Views
It took a few hours on Sunday, but I got the Super Cub not only back together, but I took it out and flew it twice! It was a lot of work and I needed to do a lot of reinforcing of the fuselage inside with wood, but the plane is now very sturdy and back in it's original form. Oddly, it flies at least as well, and maybe even a little better than it did before. I think the extra weight allows the plane to push through the air better. It does seem a little bit faster, but flaps dirty her up nicely and she floats in for landings like a true Super Cub.

As for the Corsair, the latest change is the addition of better looking wheels. Not tires, but wheels. I saw someone in the P-47 thread in the Electric Warbirds forum who took the Du-Bro 2.75" checkered wheels and used the hubs/wheels from the stock P-47 wheels to create some really nice looking and very lightweight wheels. I never thought of it! I had to do this for the Corsair, and I'm glad I did. The plane looks even better now with the more scale looking wheels. I know, they're not exactly the same type that the Corsairs used, but they look a lot better than the stock Du-Bro wheels.
Posted by Edge767 | Jul 16, 2011 @ 06:48 PM | 5,144 Views
So much has happened in the past few days.

Let's start with the bad news first: the Super Cub took a dive for the earth and never pulled out. At first, I thought it was due to a broken wing (I was doing some mild aerobatics on a repaired wing), but when I got to the wreckage, I found that the wing was perfectly intact. It seemed that the electronics were dead, not surprising due to the amount of damage, but as I picked up the plane, the radio came back on. It appears that there was some sort of interruption in power from the battery to the radio/motor which caused the plane to lose all power at the third quarter of a loop (diving straight down). The resulting crash ripped the entire bottom out of the plane (the plastic landing gear mounting plate and battery door) and cracked the fuselage on both sides. The prop was damaged, and I had to pull the gearbox off to fix the pinyon gear on the motor. It's repairable, but it'll take some time, love, and attention to get it flying again. I'll work on it and probably repaint it (again) afterward to try to make it look pretty again. For the record, the plane has 24.21 hours of flight time on it with 241 landings.

The good news: I have been flying the Extra 300 more. What a fun plane! It's super smooth and stable in the air, and a pure pleasure to fly. It's the first plane I've flown in a while that really requires me to think ahead of it, and every once in a while, I still find myself reacting to something unexpected. That's...Continue Reading
Posted by Edge767 | Jul 13, 2011 @ 10:25 PM | 5,271 Views
I got a new plane today; the PZ Extra 300. WOW.

I maidened it shortly after bringing it home and putting it together. It needed a little aileron trim and some down elevator trim, but after that, I was super-impressed with how straight this plane flies! Loops are fun, rolls, snap rolls are INSANE, and just about any maneuver done with a steady hand is just beautiful.

I flew around at altitude for a while just enjoying how straight and true the plane flew. I did a bunch of rolls, outside loops, and just plain flew it around until I decided it was about time to start practicing approaches for landing.

It turned out that landing would be a challenge, though. I started doing some practice approaches at about 5 minutes (I figured I had about 7 minutes at a minimum), but while flying downwind, the motor shut down. I banked for short final doing my best not to bleed too much energy, and since I had never landed this plane before, I kept speed up. I guided the plane to about 1' AGL and then just kept the plane flying until it settled down. I was happy with the landing; it was gentle enough but the roll-out was crazy long! I plan on doing lots of practice landings once the wind dies down, but otherwise, I brought it back from its maiden deadstick and in one piece with no damage.

This plane is going to be a lot of fun to fly! I have four 2200 30c packs; I will be getting a lot more, now. I can't wait to put this plane through the wringer (as well as my skills)!

I flew my...Continue Reading
Posted by Edge767 | Jul 11, 2011 @ 01:33 PM | 5,930 Views
Like a lot of RC flyers, I have to be careful of the amount of money I go through while pursuing this hobby. Thus, I purchased three cloned (and most likely counterfeit) Spektrum AR6100e receivers. I figured, "What the heck; might as well give them a try." And try, I did.

A range test on the ground at 30 paces appeared to be fine. I didn't go much further, because I figured, "What the heck; at 30 paces using the range test feature of my DX6i, I should be fine, right?"

I put one receiver into my HZ Super Cub. Flying close in, the receiver seems to work fine. I flew quite successfully from the front of my house for four months without issue. Then I started flying with a small keychain cam on the SC. After watching the video, I started noticing that every now and then, when I was getting out about 1000' or so, the motor would go down to idle before powering back up again. I suspected temporary loss of signal but I ignored it since I have never flat-out lost control of the plane.

I continued to fly and just made sure to keep the plane close-in. Since my home field has a row trees in front of me to the South and a high-tension power line to the East, my area is confined and typically I keep the SC close.

Yesterday, I went out to the club field and made two flights with the SC. The first flight was fine but I did notice the motor cutting out once while overhead. I again figured it must be a signal issue, but again, the plane quickly regained signal...Continue Reading
Posted by Edge767 | Jul 10, 2011 @ 01:35 AM | 4,800 Views
The Corsair is coming along in becoming a more appealing visual representation of the F4U-5N that used to be one of the "Gate Guard" aircraft while I was stationed at MCAS El Toro in the 80's and 90's.

So far, I have painted the plane black, added larger wheels, applied Callie Graphics decals, and put in a new dummy engine from ParkFlyer Plastics. I think she's coming along nicely, and I can't wait to apply more of the scale details to her!

The remaining details to be added are the radome on the starboard wing, rockets under the wings, cannons in the wings, and the new cockpit/pilot/canopy from ParkFlyer Pastics. I will also add some details to the fuselage including some weathering, but it will be slight weathering as I don't want the plane to look too ratty.
Posted by Edge767 | Jul 06, 2011 @ 10:58 PM | 4,698 Views
Today I went to my first RC Club meeting in over 25 years. I have to admit, things haven't changed a bit, and that's a good thing! It's exactly what I remember, and what I wanted to go back it. It's what I've missed about flying, and something I only got here on RCG: a flying community. People with whom I can talk about flying, planes, and share techniques, tips, and information.

I will be heading out to the airfield on Saturday morning to fly and "prove" that I'm worthy of flying without having my hand held. After flying for over 30 years, I won't say I'm an expert, but I am proficient and safe.

On another front, I re-mounted the prop on the Art-Tech Spitfire, and it seems to wobble a lot less now. I was afraid that the shaft was bent on the motor; it's not. It's the spinner that is crooked.

While messing with the Spitfire, I also tested the Wattmeter. That's one cool device. I now see why it's so invaluable to e-flyers.

I also fixed the wire landing gear on the Super Cub after another meeting of the curb. I can't wait to fly from a normal field!

I think the Corsair's port LG plate is also fixed. I won't know for sure until tomorrow, but I think it's firmed up and cured nicely. Can't wait to fly her again!
Posted by Edge767 | Jul 05, 2011 @ 04:37 PM | 4,723 Views
Well, the port landing gear plate for the Corsair isn't holding as well as I'd like it to, so I ordered another set from the LHS. They'll be in by next Monday, so until then, I'll just have to fly the L-4 and the P-47 (and maybe even "Grumpy," My Art-Tech Spitfire) unless the winds die down to 0 at which time I can fly my UMS planes.

I also got a Watt meter today. Now I can start mixing and matching some props to motors/ESCs.
Posted by Edge767 | Jul 04, 2011 @ 11:17 PM | 4,652 Views
In the past two weeks, I've had to do some repairs to my planes due to some wear and tear and minor incidents.

The Super Cub needed a new motor after the last crash it had seemed to ruin the motor. I initially thought the only damage sustained outside of structural damage was the prop shaft that was bent, but the motor seemed to be very hard to turn over. It would operate, but very loud and not as powerful. I replaced the brushed motor with another brushed motor I had from my old PZ P-51D "Fiona." I also put a drop of Tamiya gear grease into the gears and the old Super Cub is now quieter and more powerful than it was before. All in all, the Super Cub now flies very well, very quiet, and with the ailerons and flaps, is a much more maneuverable plane.

The Corsair needed some repairs again to the port side landing gear mounting plane that is attached to the wing. I had a minor mishap while getting ready to take off after three successful takeoffs and landings. I tried to steer the plane away from a curb, but a gust of wind weathervaned it right into the curb. The port landing gear mount broke away from the fuselage, but not cleanly. It actually held where I repaired it, but this time the mount actually broke in half. I had to glue it back together and then use Goo to glue it back to the wing. I'm waiting on this repair to cure (it will be done tomorrow) before I test it out. I also took the opportunity to put new 2.75" checkered wheels onto it. The bigger wheels look more scale and actually help it roll better. I had to do some minor modding to the gear with some aluminum tubing, but it worked out fine. I did fly the plane for two takeoffs and landings with the new wheels before finding that the Goo needed more time to cure hence the waiting until tomorrow to try again.
Posted by Edge767 | Jul 03, 2011 @ 11:13 PM | 4,534 Views
Over the past few days, the weather has been cooperating, and I've been getting a lot more flying in.

The grayed-out landings boxes indicate that I never tracked landings for those planes, so I'm not going to start now (although thinking about it, I probably could).

As for the last Mustang on the list, "Fiona," that plane is the only plane I've written off due to a crash and is now sitting in the garage. It's really ready for the garbage, but something about the fuselage just might be salvageable. Who knows.

I've been doing a lot more flying of all my planes, and the only planes not seeing as much action are the UM's. There's been slight steady or variable breezes every day, so while the larger planes handle it just fine, the UM's can't so they sit in their boxes.

Finally, the Corsair is now pretty much stage one complete. Stage two will be adding some details to the plane to transform it more completely into an F4U-5N. I have some parts on the way that will complete the transition. More info to come.

Here's how the Corsair looks as of today.