cdbarnett's blog View Details
Posted by cdbarnett | Jan 23, 2008 @ 10:46 PM | 5,345 Views
Size comparison:
Walkera 4#3 to Micron V2
Walkera 4#3 to Helicat Nitro...Continue Reading
Posted by cdbarnett | Sep 03, 2007 @ 09:15 PM | 5,461 Views
OK so I was getting a little bored with the plain white color scheme so I decided to make a change. Here are the results!

Change Summary:
Painted Canopy (Metallic Red, Metallic Gray)
Painted Stabilizer and Tailfin (Black)
Stripped and painted skids (Metallic Gray)
Added TREX carbon fiber look flybar paddles
Clipped blades (approx 20mm) and painted ends

Posted by cdbarnett | Jul 09, 2007 @ 09:03 PM | 7,189 Views
OK so maybe I am not ready for a CP heli...after lots of frustration with the CP head on the Compy 300 I decided to go back to a FP set-up and get back up the learning curve...then move back to CP sometime in the future. Here is a summary of the conversion of my Compy CP to a FP set-up.

OK, so what frame?
I really like the fiber frame that can be purchased for the Compy because it would allow me to go directly to FP with no custom parts...but where is the fun in that! So, rather than go the easy route I decided to design some custom FP servo mounts. Besides the fun factor of doing something new I think I'll end up with a lighter bird than if I went the fiber frame route. I designed the mounts then had them fabriacted on a rapid prototyping system (aka 3D printer). Once the drawing was input into the CAD system, you basically hit "print" and the system spits out 2 new perfectly formed mounts in about 20 minutes!!! Way cool!

So how does she fly?
After finally assembling this bird the AUW is: 374 grams. After flying it for the first time I could not believe how stable this set-up is. The tail is rock-solid and it almost hovers by itslef. Now that I am finally starting to transition to FFF I am eqaully pleased with it's maneuverability, power and forgiving manners. In short I could not be more pleased by this set-up.

Here is are a couple of video links... Reading
Posted by cdbarnett | Jun 23, 2007 @ 11:36 PM | 5,890 Views
I finally have my COMPY 300 working with my ESKY CP 2 transmitter. Instead of just biting the bullet and upgrading to a new transmitter I decided to go the cheap route (albeit more fun) and fabricate some new servo mounts so they are in the required orientation for the CP2 tx. A buddy at work built these up for me in a rapid prototyping system (basically a 3D printer). Anyway they work great! See picts below..