greyflight390's blog View Details
Posted by greyflight390 | Jan 23, 2015 @ 12:06 AM | 7,585 Views
I am using my old oak computer desk that I made about 25 years ago as my build desk. I have made a temporary shelf system for the back of it. I have my bench top tools on a platform just a few feet away.

This actually makes a fairly usable build area.
Posted by greyflight390 | May 04, 2013 @ 05:36 PM | 8,429 Views
I have been off work for the past 2 and 1//2 weeks from surgery. Seeing through the slits of my fat eyelids was no longer an option. Yesterday the eye doc cleared me to go back to work this Monday. I drive for a living these days and had to have a written clearance.

So I have been working on one plane or another off and on. Got some rib templates made for 2 different CL planes and rib templates for a new wing for my RC funny wing plane. And even made the ribs for it. Only left my DNA on the ribs maybe 6 times. Simply could not tell the template from the rib stock and way to stupid (and bored) to wait.

So I have templates rib templates made for a scratch build stunter of my own design. 12x50 inch wing.

But what I want to show you is the little trainer plane I Started on 2 days ago.
I have not flown a CL since sometime in the early 90s and thus feel the need to for a trainer that I am willing to loose.
I intend to blaspheme and put a 2.4 ghz radio on the trainer and the 50 inch stunter for throttle.

I was digging around on the shelve of a closet and found some forgotten parts, 2 stabalizers, one that was for twin engine RC plane and pretty decent size and the other come off an old slope glider and much smaller.

I like to re purpose things and after the light bulb came on in my head.

So what I have is the big stab is the wing for my little trainer. It was 8x20" so I added 2.5 inch tips to it for a 25 " wing. That gives me 200 square inches. Seems kind of...Continue Reading
Posted by greyflight390 | Apr 18, 2013 @ 03:18 PM | 7,575 Views
It will be a day or 2 before I can work on any thing. I had a Blepharoplasty on both eyes ( reduced the eyelids on both peepers) yesterday. Not in any pain today but sure am swollen. Using plenty of ice packs on my eyes to control the swelling..

Posted by greyflight390 | Mar 25, 2013 @ 03:32 PM | 7,371 Views
I replaced the rx in funny wing with one from my Kadet Sr. I did not get even 25' with the range check. This rx has never been crashed.
I tried to repair one Airtronics rx that had an antenna that had been chewed on by a critter. I used another antenna from another Airtronics rx, but still it would not pass range test.

No choice but to toss the all Airtronics rx's and servos. that gives me a use for my old Futaba s148 srevos; replace some of the old Airtronics servos.

Posted by greyflight390 | Feb 07, 2013 @ 08:37 PM | 7,732 Views
I am back to working on "Windy Days"
Rebuild and modification of a 15 year old ARF on RCUniverse

Slow but steady progress on the weekends.
I redid aileron servo covers and am getting the controls back in.
Posted by greyflight390 | Jan 30, 2013 @ 09:37 PM | 7,719 Views
I tried to test flight Funny Wing and the .25 Trainer
Unfortunately no joy. Neither receiver was working right. No go range test.
I am going to order a pair of Castle Creations Berg 4Ch FM receivers next pay day.

Posted by greyflight390 | Jan 30, 2013 @ 09:26 PM | 7,820 Views
I finished Funny Wing.
Posted by greyflight390 | Jan 06, 2013 @ 04:48 PM | 8,151 Views
End up making 2 really major changes to The funny Wing plane
I had a severe problem with getting the cg correct and the the arrow shaft tail boom was a disaster before it even left the building board.
So it got a new nose (much longer) spliced on and I replace the arrow shaft with a built up balsa tail section.
I now think I am getting close.
Posted by greyflight390 | Dec 02, 2012 @ 08:54 PM | 8,153 Views
This is the little 4 channel trainer. I made one rib template and just started cutting wood and gluing.
The fuse is a little long but that wont hurt anything. I still had to add about 3/4 ounce of lead to the tail to balance it, so I certainly did not overbuild the back section.
When I went to but the wing on with all the servos in I found a major lack of planning on my part. The aileron torque rods would not clear the rudder and elevator servos. I solved that little mistake by building a bit of cabin area on top of the wing mount area. It actual looks better this way I think and might improve flight characteristics a bit.