FWAL's blog View Details
Archive for September, 2013
Posted by FWAL | Sep 18, 2013 @ 09:52 AM | 5,226 Views
Yep, the ME 109 is all but finished. All that is left is to acrylic varnish the undersides. However, there is one slight problem. I thoroughly enjoyed this build especially the camouflage and markings. OK to the expert eye they aren't of the correct scale or dimensions but they were hand painted after all. I can definitely see myself doing another PSS wooden kit model again.
The wing is fastened using a 5mm nylon bolt located in a captive nut which has been glued to 3mm ply. This is located in a grooved ply former fastened to the wing doublers. Therefore making it easy to remove and replace should it break on a heavy landing.
The rudder is a pull pull affair. I have crossed the control wires in the fuse to perhaps give a better angle of exit-entrance out of the fuse sides and thus reduce friction and wear. The elevator servo and rx are positioned under the forward hatch.
It took 150 grams of lead to balance the 109. As can be seen, I managed to fit it all in the spinner. The models AUW is 1500grams (3.3lbs)
Now I just have to set up the spoilerons and she's ready for his first sortie.
Posted by FWAL | Sep 16, 2013 @ 03:20 PM | 5,179 Views
Some photo's from Dartmoor SC. The venue of the 5th IOM South West District Championship Series.
Posted by FWAL | Sep 12, 2013 @ 04:32 PM | 5,538 Views
Yesterday the 109 received a coat of watered down matt varnish. I did this to seal the balsa and perhaps raise the grain. Then this morning this was lightly rubbed over with 400 wet or dry. After that the wings and fuse received two coats of rattle can primer and two coats of light blue spray to the belly and wing undersides.
I'm not going to copy any original ME 109 colour scheme, partly due to there being well over 30,000 manufactured, so chances are my scheme will be a close match to at least one. I'm also too lazy to find out the correct colours hence this blue is from the Ford range!
There's also another admission, the eagle eyed or those in the know will notice the distinct lack of radiators on the wing undersides. They were supplied but like the ailerons mod I want my this soarer to be fairly agile so they've been omitted.
Now how far do you go to make this PSS glider look realistic. This has been bugging me for a little while. I keep telling myself that less is more (like the undersides of the wings) but then I find myself thinking of adding more detail. I guess time will tell as work is still very much in progress.
Posted by FWAL | Sep 11, 2013 @ 05:13 PM | 4,473 Views
The Bwlch is a notorious soaring spot in the UK. Despite only living 25 miles away this was only the second time I had flown there this year.
Bwlch sept 13 (2 min 20 sec)

Posted by FWAL | Sep 10, 2013 @ 06:05 PM | 4,259 Views
18mph increasing to 24mph occasionally gusting 30mph. Good wind, good lift and good company. It had to be done an enjoyable afternoons soaring at the Bwlch with my two Blejzyk models. The 1.9m Mefisto and 2.4m Hammer. Chris (the local) brought along his Willow, Air One, Tucan and Voltige. Devon Rob aka Tiger Oats flew his Stage 2 and 48" Fusion.
Chris's planes were all very nice and appeared to revel in the blustery conditions, whilst my Mefisto was a joy to fly and I really appreciated the vast expanse of the Bwlch compared to my local slope. This encouraged one off big manoeuvres or just multiple smaller manoeuvres providing thrills combined with a fair amount of concentration the net result of which was pretty awesome.
On the other hand the non ballasted Hammer was a bit of a damp squid, sluggish and not very inspiring. This has now prompted me to seriously incorporate a means of ballast into the fuse which would have been a lot easier during the construction phase!
It was a bit too windy for Rob's Stage 2 not making much headway during it's one and only flight. His Fusion faired a lot better but one nasty gust saw it make a pretty hard impact which broke the fuse. A bit of tape should see it fly again on his next road trip stop over at the Orme this Thursday.
Posted by FWAL | Sep 09, 2013 @ 02:19 PM | 4,555 Views
I dug deep and pulled out my buried airbrush stuff from a cupboard. I haven't used it much so it took a little while to remember how to set it up, once done I had a quick practice to see what damage I could do. The first results aren't too bad, a couple more swatches and I should be able to do a reasonable job on the 109.
The wing fairings have also been fitted. They looked fine from above but underneath was a different matter with a fair amount of work required by means of sanding, shaping and filling.
The sundry fittings have also been attached so it wont be long now!
Posted by FWAL | Sep 08, 2013 @ 02:51 PM | 4,135 Views
Fritz has had a change of jobs! No longer will he be driving the MFA RC speedboat. Oh no. He is now a WWII German pilot. I hope you agree he is certainly a lot less scary than when I first acquired him, in fact he looks pretty realistic.