dmrcflyr2's blog View Details
Archive for February, 2015
Posted by dmrcflyr2 | Feb 28, 2015 @ 05:21 PM | 5,144 Views
So I am 'officially' done buying engines...... The last one arrived today, a used but excellent condition FA-80. I got a great deal on this powerhouse too. As usual with used engines, I disassembled, inspected, and cleaned it. Even though it is a rainy day here, I still managed to run it afterwards. I just put the stand in the garage.

The engine arrived in a white box that was originally for an FA-82a. The muffler was heavily carbon coated; no aluminum was visible at all. 5 minutes with some fine sandpaper and 0000 steel wool had it all cleaned up.

The inside of this engine was quite clean but obviously well used by the carbon deposits on the exhaust valve and top of the piston.

I did not do anything with the carb during the disassembly, as I wanted to see how it ran with the settings it had when it arrived. Once reassembled and the valves set it was test stand time. It started by hand quite easily and as all FA-80's had tons of compression. It was not running well initially however. There was a peak RPM spot long before the WOT position. Once advanced to WOT the RPM would drop about 700RPM and the engine was getting quite hot. I stopped the engine and pulled the carb. The velocity stack was removed and the idle needle reset to the factory settings. It was set way too lean. Now the engine was running properly. I tached it at a max of 9700 RPM turning a 13x6 TF PROP. I might could have gotten some more but it sounded good there. I richened it to 8900RPM...Continue Reading
Posted by dmrcflyr2 | Feb 28, 2015 @ 05:01 PM | 4,811 Views
It is a nice overcast and rainy day on the west coast of FL. A perfect day to cover an airplane. I know I mentioned that I was going to cover the Hog in yellow and sky blue, well I changed my mind on those colors for this airplane. Now it is going to be red, white and yellow. White will be on the bottom of the plane, red on the top with yellow trim. I also happened to have a partial can of TF Monokote Yellow to paint the head rest. I did not want to spend the money on a can of paint for just that.

So far I have the elevator, stab, fin and rudder covered. I like to cover before final assembly for a more ARF like presentation. I have found it much easier to get the places done that would otherwise be very tight if pre assembled. I am not done for the night yet, but I wanted to post some pictures.

I also installed the control horns. I'll probably do the wing next.
Posted by dmrcflyr2 | Feb 23, 2015 @ 06:15 PM | 6,100 Views
So I am finishing up getting all of the Saito engines that I want for my collection and this one is the latest. The FA-30S. It is a cute little thing. I have read good things about this engine and I can't wait to get it out on the test stand for some break-in.
Posted by dmrcflyr2 | Feb 21, 2015 @ 03:04 PM | 5,809 Views
Work on the Hog has really slowed due to long hours at work last week. But I am in the final stages of prepping things before covering. The servos and pushrods are installed. The wing mounted to the fueslage; working on the bottom fairing for the wing to meet the fuse. I sheeted the fuselage also and began filling gaps and shaping the nose/engine compartment area.

The wing still needs to be sanded, filled and sanded again. I still need to install the control horns on the surfaces. I bought covering and main wheels today. Sky blue and yellow will be the colors. I need to figure out the scheme. I mocked it up for some pictures.
Posted by dmrcflyr2 | Feb 16, 2015 @ 06:38 PM | 6,382 Views
In the last 2 days I have been busy on the Hog. I started with getting the throttle cable to the correct length and routing it from the throttle to the servo. The flex cable is really the only way to do this as you will see in the bends. I still have not sheeted the fuselage so this helped a lot in routing and figuring. I ended up gluing the pushrod tube to one of the stringers above the tank to straighten it out before it got to the throttle arm.

I also had to put a new throttle arn on the Enya, the one on there was cut very short. Luckily I had a metal servo arm left over from my RC truck days. I drilled out the splines so the screw would fit in there and it was a done deal.

I had to add a stiffener on the fuse side to route the cable as well. I put this in first and now the angle doesn't seem correct so I may have to change it once I operate the servos and check for binding.

I also laid the fiberglass tape down around the wing joint. I have ALWAYS disliked this task. In the old days I used to use polyester resin, but in the last 10 years I have just used 2 part epoxy. I have never had a wing joint fail with either. I used 3M contact cement sprayed onto the wing to hold the tape in place while I lathered the epoxy on and smoothed it out.

I also started on the elevator and rudder pushrods. Yes, I am using the balsa ones included in the kit. A bit of a risk but I have used them before. Typically if I use wood pushrods I would use the hardwood dowels. I did...Continue Reading
Posted by dmrcflyr2 | Feb 14, 2015 @ 03:58 PM | 5,402 Views
I have been doing a bit on the Hog. Not as much as I was doing. Long days at work and I have been tired in the evening. Plus I am to the point in the build that I typically slow down. I'm not sure why. Maybe the hype is gone, maybe I'm tired of sanding even though that isn't close to being done, maybe I dislike the remaining work to do. I'm not really sure but I have slowed some.

All of the major assemblies are completed and the things that are left are the minor finishing touches. Shaping the ailerons, gluing the wing blocks in place, carving the nose to shape, etc. The tedious stuff.

So I have cut the aileron servo pocket into the wing. Done the aileron torque rod things, final sanded the leading edge. I still have to apply the fiberglass strip around the center joint.

The fuse is 95% done. I still have to sheet the bottom from the aft edge of the wing back to the tail. I am holding off doing this as I am not sure I will really do it. This darn plane builds so heavy anyway and with the Enya 60 perched out as far forward as it will go, I need to decide if I will need that weight. I have yet to begin the tedious task of carving the nose side filler blocks to shape. I think I mentioned that I am NOT putting in the bottom balsa block to fully enclose the engine compartment. I really do NOT need that weight in front. besides it is easier to service the engine with it open. I think I will go buy some 1/16" sheeting for the top of the fuselage. I just can'...Continue Reading
Posted by dmrcflyr2 | Feb 14, 2015 @ 10:21 AM | 6,025 Views
Well I took this little gem outsides today for it's first drink of fuel. I ran Morgan's Omega 10% and an APC 11x6 propeller. After prime it started on the second flip; typical Saito for sure. I was careful not to run it over 4500 RPM for the first 10 minutes as sepecifed in the break-in instructions.

After that I ran it to WOT for about 15-20 seconds; some of that is shown in the videos. It actually showed a bit over 9000 RPM but I believe the video only shows about 8800.

There was one odd thing, there was a substantial fuel leak coming from the glow plug seat. It might be visible in one of the videos, but was easily seen by me. It was a brand new OS F plug and washer. I pulled it inspected both the plug, washer, and glow area on the engine. I did not see anything at all wrong. I re-installed it and tried again, still the same. This time I put 2 washers under the plug and the leak was gone. The extra washer did not seem to affect the perfromance of the engine however.

It was a typical Saito run, flawless. This engine runs very nice and will only get better as the break-in continues. I was quitre impressed at how it idled for being the first tank. It became a bit rough when I tried to get it down below 2800RPM, but that isn't unusal being it was the first 2 tanks and I had not even touched the idle screw as yet.

Videos located here,
Posted by dmrcflyr2 | Feb 13, 2015 @ 07:41 PM | 7,389 Views
As much as I didn't need another engine, this deal was too good to pass up. I purchased a new and unrun Saito FA-45MKII from a fellow member here. I already have a FA-45S which has hotter cam timing and basically makes the same power as the FA-50. The 45 Special according to this website: , was not sold in the US. I am pretty sure that I bought my 45S from a hobby shop in WI, but I really have no records or proof of that. Bottom line is I didn't purchase it used nor from overseas.

So I could tell immediately that this 45 had never seen a drop of fuel, very cool. It came in a slightly tattered box, some paperwork but not the instruction sheet, decals and tools.

I fully intend to run this engine tomorrow as I am never going to sell it. I usually disassemble, inspect, and clean all used engines I buy, but tonight I decided to do the same to this new engine.

I was really hoping for the instruction sheet as the carbuerator on this has a large knob for the idle mixture. Even though this engine has never run, I would like to know what the initial setting for this knob should be, as it could have been turned in its lifetime. There is no throttle stop screw so setting the idle is going to be interesting. It also has the reward facing carb inlet so you cannot see which direction WOT is without at least taking the carb off. I'm sure I will forget by tomorrow and have difficult starting the thing.

You can tell this one one of Saito's...Continue Reading
Posted by dmrcflyr2 | Feb 12, 2015 @ 08:12 PM | 4,295 Views
Ok, ok, yet another 2-stroke engine. What gives? Well I got this NIB 40 FP from a great member here toni2di for a great deal. Why did I buy it? Nostalgia plain and simple. This was the FIRST RC engine I ever bought way back in 1988. It brings back memories of when I started flying, or trying to fly.

Sure these engines are very reliable, easy to tune, and notoriously lower on power than ball bearing engines. I mean look at the throat on the carb of this thing. It can't hold a candle to the Tower 46 below, but it wasn't designed to be a power house. It was designed as an entry level engine of high quality, that would run forever.

The casting of this engine is a thing of beauty. Just flawless. I serioulsy doubt I will ever run a drop of fuel through this engine. Like I said, I bought it for the memories it brings back and that's it.

Oh BTW, the box says 40 FP-S 13341, well this isn't the original box the engine came in. This engine is a 40 FP 13331....Continue Reading
Posted by dmrcflyr2 | Feb 12, 2015 @ 07:47 PM | 4,152 Views
Huh? What? Me like, I mean love another 2 stroke engine? You bet your butt. I scored an engine that I had flown extensively back in the late 90's, that is a real butt kicking engine. The Tower Hobbies Pro 46. You read correctly, Tower Hobbies engine.

I really don't think the line of Pro engines was too popular and I am unsure how long they were made. But I can tell you they were/are fantastic engines! Easy start and tune, and incredibly powerful. Those with a keen eye will discover that this engine bears a striking resemblance to the GMS 47. Well it is because they were made in the same factory just as many engines were. I owned several of the GMS 47 engines too.

Anyway I found this pristine speciman at Ronwc's house. This engine has never been touched by humans since it was packaged at the factory. All bags were still stapled shut. I could not resist this. The box and contents have the distinct aroma of an attic, musty smell. It must have been purchased and stored away for years. Now it will get a chance to take flight.

I had flown this engine in my SIG Somethin Extra's. In fact those planes were used as test beds for numerous engines, both 2 and 4 stroke. I might actually run this engine this weekend and begin the break-in. I don't have a plane for it yet but it would be ideal on a pattern plane like a Kaos or Ultra Sport.

They came with mufflers very similar in design to the Jett Engineering Jett Stream. This aids in producing its...Continue Reading
Posted by dmrcflyr2 | Feb 08, 2015 @ 12:38 PM | 4,887 Views
I cut the 1/2" balsa cowl filler pieces from the large chunk of printed balsa. Man without a razor saw, that would be a real chore. I sanded the edges to match and glued them together; they were 2 piece cowl cheeks. Next I glued them inside the firewall area. I then smeared epoxy on the inside surfaces to fuel proof the area.

I also drilled a hole in the F2 former for the throttle pushrod. Because of it's location I may actually have to use the cable pushrod the was included with the kit. It is flexible enough to route where it needs to go.

I drilled some holes for the rare earth magnets for the removeable hatch and pressed them into place. Eventually I will run some thin CA over them to secure them.

I found a lightly used 8 oz fuel tank from another project. I did a quick inspection and pressure check on it and began the installation. I have found that getting the fuel tank installed, fitted properly and plumbed is much easier while I still have access to the area. Without the magnetic hatch this would be buried inside the canverous area. I also installed the engine mount and fitted the engine. I can see, check the fuel tank centerline in relation to the center of the carb. All looks good the tank centerline is slightly below the carb's.

I have some foam pieces to minimize fuel foaming from vibration. All looks pretty good. I finished it up with some new fuel tubing. I am going to leave the tank and foam in place now....Continue Reading
Posted by dmrcflyr2 | Feb 07, 2015 @ 04:06 PM | 6,488 Views
I got quite a bit of work done on the Hog today. I was home alone and could work relatively undisturbed. Angel and Chloe my girls,(cats) came in periodically to check on my progress.

So I start off with showing the firewall and engine mounting. I ma using the Enya 60-4C for this airplane and the mounting is a bit different. I had to put it out on the end of the beams to clear the carbuerator. I think it might still be touching a bit. With the mounts provided in the kit the throttle arm for the engine is right in line with the mount. I have it oriented so that the pushrod will attach at the top. This made the hole in the firewall for the pushrod a pretty non-standard location. It exit right at the top of the firewall and just beneath the sheeting. It should be interresting, but at least the pushrod will not interfere with the fuel tank at all.

I also just drilled 1/4" holes in the firewall for the fuel tubing to exit. In actuality I will not be using muffler pressure but I will still use the line for priming.

The fuse is all framed up. If you look closely you can see I made a couple of mistakes with the stringers. I had to correct that. I had recieved a call that a dear friend of mine lost her battle with cancer this morning. I wasn't thinking clearly notheless. I made good progress and need to look at the instructions to see what is to happen next.

I really do not like the idea of completely enclosing the fuel tank. Since there is a big...Continue Reading
Posted by dmrcflyr2 | Feb 06, 2015 @ 08:13 PM | 5,760 Views
I worked a bit on the fuselage tonight. A pretty straightforward build. The fuse sides are printed on larim a few parts out from the wing saddle and rough trim the edge. Pin it down with the sides opposing each other.

Start by cutting and gluing 1/4" square stingers for the lengths and verticals. In the areas where the formers go I just used some straight ply scrap and laid it in and lined of the balsa. Initially I was using thin CA to glue these down, but then the bottle ran out. I really didn't feel like opening the new bottle for this stuff so I used the Elmers wood glue and t-pins. Lite ply doublers go in after the 1/4" square stock, at least according to the instructions. The ply could have been laid down first, but that isn't how I did it. The way I did it required a bit of sanding of some of the doubler edges to get the fit right. Between the die crushed ply and the printed sheets, there was a bit of a difference in the exact size and shape thus some fitting was required.

The lite ply die cutting (crushing/crunching) was quite poor. The die was obviously in need of sharpening before this kit was cut. This plane could seriously use the updated laser cut treatm0ent for sure. It would be much more of a joy to build.

Since I was using the Elmers tonight I need to let this stuff set over night. I had a couple of 2lb hand weights available to ues the hold the large ply sections over the wing area.

I also went ahead and pulled the remainder of the die crushed ply parts out of the jig and sanded and trimed the flash off. These pieces will be ready for immediate installation. I also glued the ply F1 pieces together to form the firewall. I clamped the Enya 60 to the beam mounts and marked the locations for the mounting screws and drill points on the firewall for the mount.

More tomorrow.... Ijust had to add a picture of the Enya. it has been a while since I had an engine picture.
Posted by dmrcflyr2 | Feb 05, 2015 @ 08:01 PM | 5,164 Views
Pretty boring post tonight. I have completed the other wing panel over the last few days this week. Actually I had most of it framed up on Sunday, but seeing as I have a job during the week, I don't get as much done in the evening. So my building board is only 48" long and the wing is 70". The kitchen floor is the next best place to glue this thing together, but I didn't use that either. Yes I did maintain the suggested dihedral which is .... alot.

I have done this many times before and I did it again. I sanded until the wing panels fit quite good together and then I practiced putting them together, MANY times. Why? Because I was/am/did join them with 5 minute epoxy and holding them together by hand. Like I said, I have done this many times in the past. The key is to practice, have the materials on hand in if something comes up, alcohol soaked rag, paper towels, a wife, and loads of new curse words. Luckily I didn't need any of those things. In 4 minutes it was set enough to relax my grip and lean against the closet door. You do what you gotta do when you don't have what I would call a 'proper' work space.

The end result is a nicely glued wing that is straight and true. Now after it has set you find out just how out of balance it is. I tried the best I could to evenly spread out the dense and soft balsa in this wing, but it was still pretty heavy on one end. So I grabbed some weights, coins, batteries, and go about seeing how bad it is. It fell...Continue Reading
Posted by dmrcflyr2 | Feb 01, 2015 @ 09:51 AM | 4,714 Views
Pretty short and sweet today. I choose to hammer out the fin, rudder, elevators and sheet the stab.

I have a load of wings to cook for today's festivities so I am going to try and not start on the fuselage.....