FWAL's blog View Details
Archive for May, 2014
Posted by FWAL | May 16, 2014 @ 03:32 PM | 4,912 Views
2 channel soaring is so therapeutic, it has to be done once in a while in order to cleanse the slope soul of all those botched aerobatic tricks and misfortunes! And there's no better time to do it than on a Sunny, warm Friday afternoon in 8-10mph of sea breeze.
SUNNY Slideshow (0 min 56 sec)

Posted by FWAL | May 13, 2014 @ 03:42 PM | 4,982 Views
No building today but the postman delivered my new winch which was ordered last Friday so that was very good service. I'm sure the Titan will prove very trust worthy and does all that is required of it. Plus it'll take a self tensioning 32mm drum, weighs 137g and is made in Britain.
Then this evening Harry and I went for a play in the Bay on our Phil Morrison designed RS 200 which is an absolutely fabulous sailing dinghy.
Posted by FWAL | May 12, 2014 @ 02:21 PM | 4,422 Views
Over the weekend I only managed to complete the fore deck plug and give it two coats of wax. Today I made a bit more progress and practically completed the foredeck shell. Whilst the resin was running I also reinforced the hull along the chine as it felt a bit vulnerable and then the midship, fin and mast area.
Now the sundry bits and bobs start to get a bit smaller but the time to do them seems to take a lot longer as the emphasis is on accuracy.
Posted by FWAL | May 11, 2014 @ 02:22 PM | 4,652 Views
It's been a very long time 8-9months since we last raced with the B rigs but the wait was worth it. What a blast and the Edge didn't let the side down with 8 bullets from 10 races. I retired in the seventh race when the jib sheet got tangled around the clew which looks like an impossible feat on dry land but that's sailing and again the jib sheet snagged on something during the first leeward mark rounding of the tenth race. This opened the door for Nigel to glide past taking the lead whilst I was left to faff about which eventually released the sheet. With a 15m lead there was little chance of me catching him up so I had to settle for a second.
Unfortunately skipper numbers were slightly down on the usual and the results will be littered with retirements due to poor rig choice, breakages and in Doug's case an attraction to the only tree obstruction in the whole lake!
Posted by FWAL | May 09, 2014 @ 04:26 PM | 4,628 Views
1000mm x 160mm x 18mm MDF, contact adhesive, jig saw, electric plane, smoothing plane, sand paper and a couple of hours later the fore deck plug is ready to be varnished prior to use. First I cut the MDF in half and cut and sanded one piece to the shape of the hull shape. The other piece was cut slightly larger as I used contact adhesive to glue the two halves together, with contact adhesive you only get one chance hence making one larger allowed for slight misalignment.
Once the halves were joined together I marked the depth which worked out 36mm at the mast and 18mm at the bow, hence the sandwich construction.
The work then progressed outside due to the dust as a fair bit of planing was about to take place.
I'm still of the mind that a high flat foredeck is beneficial compared to lower decks with prominent spines, ridges running up the centre. Keeping the jib boom close to deck helps prevent the wind from cheating underneath the sail and the flatness also reduces rotar and vortexes on the leeward side. There is a slight weight draw back but is all about compromises.
Posted by FWAL | May 09, 2014 @ 06:52 AM | 5,080 Views
Vertex's hull was faired last night and I also fitted the pre FG'd 2mm liteply transom and bow. As I've said before I always try and use up any spare resin to laminate offcuts of balsa sheet or liteply as it always comes in handy during this type of composite build.
The fairing shaved (sanded) off a staggering 14grams, this was very pleasing and now in her current state the hull weighs 220g or 7.75 oz. Next I plan to make the fore deck plug from 18mm MDF and retrieve the mast fin box out of the VTX as I hope to fit it in the Vertex
Posted by FWAL | May 07, 2014 @ 04:17 PM | 4,144 Views
That's the current weight of theVertex hull when it came off the plug. It's been an interesting past few hours of this build. Last night I thought I had prepared the hull for it's last flow coat of resin. So this morning I mixed the usual 18ml of West Systems resin which works out just the right amount to cover the hull but I had a couple of millilitres left over. Not a problem as I normally use it up on spare sheets to make various parts. However, after returning home from work a quarter of the hull where I first started applying the resin was like an orange peel in texture. The remainder of the hull was looking very good. I was a bit gutted but life and especially modelling is full of ups and downs. As the resin was still tacky I thought I'd give the hull another filler coat. Another mix was soon ready but my favourite brush was still damp from being washed. A substitute brush was found but the resin was going on pretty thick so an additional mix was required to completely finish the hull. I cut some FG ready and waxed my kicker well plug to use up the excess resin so not much harm done.
The hull received this additional and un planned flow coat of resin but as a consequence of the different brush causing more than usual amount of resin being required. Or the first coat of the day not having cured quite enough a number of small ripples were apparent along the hull and will require some special sanding treatment. Oh well, I'm quite use to sanding.
This evening after a little bit of persuasion the hull released itself from the plug and like a new born went straight onto the scales. 223 grams is a respectable light weight but only 60 or so grams lighter than one of my balsa cored hulls which are probably a lot stiffer.