Kmot's blog View Details
Archive for November, 2018
Posted by Kmot | Nov 29, 2018 @ 09:58 PM | 15,613 Views
After nearly 5 years of ownership and many flights, I lost my Flyzone DH-2 Beaver to the RC demons on Wed 11-27-2018.

I was using a new Spektrum DX8 Gen 2 transmitter, with the same receiver that had always worked on my DX7s transmitter. Don't know what went wrong, but it acted like it went out of radio range and went into failsafe mode.

The fuselage is too damaged to repair. Firewall is broken, and it was molded inside the foam when the fuselage was made, so no easy way to replace it. The landing gear supports are twisted and broken out. The landing gear plate on one of them is all bent out of shape. The motor mount is bent severely. I just decided to pull the electronics out and call it a done deal.


Beaver Crash (3 min 38 sec)

Posted by Kmot | Nov 05, 2018 @ 11:50 PM | 15,827 Views
I bought a 1400mm P-40B made by FMS and it arrived about a week ago. I started assembling it a few days ago and did some detail painting to it.

It has many plastic pieces that are molded in color but they do not match the paint. I wanted all the pieces to match so I took the elevator assembly to Lowes to have the three colors computer matched and get sample bottles of each paint. As it turns out only the green was a perfect match. The gray was too dark and the olive drab was just totally wrong.

At first I painted the plastic pieces with the gray paint, but it really bugged me that they were darker. So I ended up mixing some paint myself to get a better match. Not perfect but a lot closer. I also tried to mix up some of the olive drab brown but could not get a match. However I came up with something better than the maroon looking stuff that Lowes made.

I also had Lowes make up some zinc chromate green for me and I used that inside the wheel wells and flaps.

I painted the gear doors and inside the wheel wells. I painted over the clear plastic surrounds on the navigation lights. I painted the nav light lens' on the vertical fin. I painted the pitot tube. I painted the exhaust stacks. I airbrushed some exhaust smoke stains on the side of the fuselage. I painted the spinner. I softened the hard edge of the green camo around the cockpit and canopy. I painted the machine gun barrels flat black. And I made decals for the hub caps.

When I had installed the radio I
...Continue Reading