Tom Hunt's blog View Details
Archive for February, 2011
Posted by Tom Hunt | Feb 21, 2011 @ 07:18 PM | 21,072 Views
Did not pay attention cutting the horn balance off the model to make it "scale". I failed to realize (until today doing some reseach on the F4U) that the horn balance does not extend all the way to the LE of the stab.

fixed.....
Posted by Tom Hunt | Feb 21, 2011 @ 05:40 PM | 19,487 Views
I was not happy with the CG at about 98MM back from the LE of the wing. It should be closer to 90. I took the supplied plastic with metal insert prop nut/cap and filled it with lead shot, increasing the weight from 18g to 60g. With this much weight so far forward, I easily moved the CG to the 90mm mark
Posted by Tom Hunt | Feb 20, 2011 @ 06:39 PM | 17,563 Views
Well guys... PU glue is dry and I stuck her all together and setup the radio. I also checked the weight and CG.

With the larger motor, larger battery and with 3 slightly larger servos, mine came out at 5.25 lbs. A lot less than either of my highly modified FMS mustangs (6lbs+). The CG is just a bit behind 90mm, where most guys seem to say it is fine (should be, it's a HUGE tail!).

I am going to fill the supplied propnut/spinner with lead shot and epoxy. We'll see if I can sneak it fwd a bit. The 4s-3200 is already as far fwd as I can go with it.

I still need to touch up some of the paint and afix the prop decals, but she's good to go... except the weather!

(PS... goofy stays in this one!)
Posted by Tom Hunt | Feb 20, 2011 @ 02:42 PM | 17,578 Views
I wanted to use Hi-Tec HS-81 servos for the rudder and elevator. The supplied mount in the fuselage is not big enough to accommodate these servos.

I cut the fwd side off with an exacto saw. Added a 3/16" sq piece of hardwood to the bottom of the mount and screwed the servos to this side.

I slipped the servo assembly into the fuselage and glued the fwd section to the fuselage just above the wing.
Posted by Tom Hunt | Feb 20, 2011 @ 02:36 PM | 17,317 Views
Don't like the idea of two small plastic straps and a foam "socket" holding the wing together.

I added two 3/8" carbon tube spars between the wings. Glued in with PU glue. The two halves of the wings were glued with thick CA down the mating crack after the PU was dry.

I also rehinged the Ailerons with live hinges.
Posted by Tom Hunt | Feb 20, 2011 @ 11:31 AM | 17,523 Views
One must add the tailwheel steering servo before adding the vertical tail. Because I bought the "kit" no hardware was given for this. I used an old adjustable length servo arm you find in many larger Hi-Tec servos. I cut it back a bit and glued and screwed it to a servo disk arm (an old FMA PS-100).

I had to remove some foam (fwd and bottom) to get the servo in place. I glued the servo to the foam with the "snot" glue provided in the kit.
Posted by Tom Hunt | Feb 20, 2011 @ 11:25 AM | 17,717 Views
As some of you know, FMS/Airfield decided to "improve" the elevator on the V2 that hit Nitroplanes in the US. This improvement (unverified) destroyed the scale appearance of the empenage. They cut back the elevator substantially in span and in the process removed the aerodynamic and mass balance.

To fix... here is the process
Posted by Tom Hunt | Feb 20, 2011 @ 09:30 AM | 13,850 Views
did not like the idea of no air exiting the cowl. I cannot believe that even in the stock set-up with a battery clogging up most of the channel in the fuselage that much air is going over the motor and thru the fuselage. So..... I took out the dremel and knife and carved some "scale" cooling slots in the semi-openned molded cowl flaps.

I also openned up some more of the dummy engine (between the rocker arms)
Posted by Tom Hunt | Feb 20, 2011 @ 07:45 AM | 8,189 Views
Morning gents...

Mounted motor to Firewall with 1" long drywall screws (to make sure they penetrate both the block and the firewall. pre-drilled with .09 drill to make sure blocks don't split.
Posted by Tom Hunt | Feb 19, 2011 @ 04:43 PM | 8,419 Views
Hi Guys

Well, not an indepth bash like you saw me do on the Mustang or D to B conversion, but I will be changing a few things. First we will start with the motor mounting.

I have decided to use a Turnigy 5055-400 and initially the stock 4 blade prop. As I posted in one of the F4U threads on this model I obtained 5700 RPM on 49 amps on an Eflite 30C 3200 (same pack I fly in my Mustangs).

Here goes.