FWAL's blog View Details
Archive for April, 2014
Posted by FWAL | Apr 30, 2014 @ 05:07 PM | 4,195 Views
Today the new Vertex hull had it's first layer of FG trimmed back and was lightly sanded. After quick wash with fresh water and dried I went back to my old trick of spraying the hull with a light mist of 3M spray mount. Then I carefully covered the hull with another layer of 200g/m2 of fibre glass. With a bit of manipulation practically all the creases can be removed and wetting out is soooo much easier when the FG isn't moving about but quite firmly adhered to the previous and first layer of FG.

These photo's were taken after three quarters of the hull had been wetted out. The area awaiting the resin is firmly tacked to the hull which makes life a lot easier and less stressful.
Posted by FWAL | Apr 29, 2014 @ 04:59 PM | 4,121 Views
This evening I had my first experience of laying up a GRP hull on a plug. Normally, my hulls are a composite of balsa and GRP. I used to use 3m spray mount to hold the woven 200g/m2 fibre glass in place which has been very successful but this was not option during this GRP only build.
The plug had received two layers of releasing wax so fingers crossed I shouldn't have any problems striking the hull off the plug. I'm anticipating using two layers of 200g/m2 for the majority of the hull with an additional layer of 80g/m2 in the middle of the hull from the main sheet post to just in front of the mast post incorporating the full beam circumference.
Initially I mixed 36ml of West System resin which managed to cover two thirds of the wetting out so another 15ml was mixed but only about 8ml was used so it took approx 44ml in total which feels about right. I also tried for the first time to use a jenny or jen brush (A stick with a piece of brush shaped foam attached) to wet out the FG but after a while I went back to my trustee cheap kids paint brush bought from my local newsagent for 60p and used numerous times. The jenny brush is used once and thrown away. I found the thick paint brush stippled the resin into the FG a lot quicker and more thoroughly. It took a little time and patience but overall I'm very happy with the results. In one or two small areas the FG started to lift but a light rub over with some kitchen towel managed to absorb any excess resin and soon had things looking right. I also needed to cut a small dart in the FG at the midships to release a crease on each side but that's a relatively small price to pay to keep the FG and my sanity intact.
Posted by FWAL | Apr 28, 2014 @ 05:30 PM | 3,928 Views
The VTX hull has now been modified to produced a plug for my firdt attempt at a GRP moulded hull. This new project will be called "Vertex". The vertex's WL Beam will be 175mm and the overall beam 180mm. The transom has also been widened as a consequence. The rear deck will be flat and the foredeck will be similar to the Edges as I'm happy with the overall looks and performance.
Posted by FWAL | Apr 06, 2014 @ 10:09 AM | 3,876 Views
I have been planning this makeover for a long time. Today the weather has been very miserable (Too wet for glossing the woodwork!) The wife is working the eldest is in Cardiff, the youngest is playing with a neighbour and the Sorrento's glue is curing. So out came the electrics off came the fittings, say goodbye to the flush decks, a quick sand and wash out and this is what I have to work with. A Mark Dicks designed 170mm beamed VTX. Now I am really going to struggle to keep the weight down. Most of my builds in this state come in at around the 275-290g mark. This Chopped Matt Strand bruiser is a whopping 505g. This is seriously going to restrict my choice of winch so I might be refitting the ole Grupner Regatta as it's probably faster to have a 4kg IOM rather than a fast winch.
Posted by FWAL | Apr 03, 2014 @ 04:55 PM | 4,604 Views
The Balsa Cabin Sorrento (circa 1980) build has finally started. What a relief. The balsa appears OK but some of the parts weren't that accurately cut in the first instance and the leading edge 1/2"x3/8" section and 1/8"fin was missing! Luckily I had just enough in my scraps box to carry on.
Originally the Sorrento was designed for a 600 size can motor and 7 cell nicad. This would have weighed a lot more than the modern day more powerful 1000kv brushless motor, ESC and 3S 25C 11.1 volt Lipo battery. Therefore, I will try and reduce the weight in the tail and move the servo's, rx and battery as far forward as possible to help reduce the amount of nose weight required by the omission of the older, heavier motor and batteries. This started with drilling six holes in the stabiliser. What I didn't expect is that the weight saving was less than a gram! It didn't register a difference on my scales which I was quite surprised at.