SD One.'s blog View Details
Posted by SD One. | Mar 21, 2019 @ 06:21 PM | 2,620 Views
December 2015.

That's when the Venture was announced and that's how long I've been waiting for a kit version to arrive. Shortly after the original Venture announcement, they mentioned that a kit version would be coming in the future. I decided to wait for the kit. It took a while.

3 years and 4 months later, it is finally here! I can finally use the crawler track I built a couple years ago. I do have another crawler, a Tamiya CR-01, but I built the track with the Venture in mind. I'm on my second 3D printer now, so that will finally get put to good use for roll bars and other scale goodies. This was my original intent for it.

To say I've been patient would be an understatement. The longest wait ever is finally over.
Posted by SD One. | Dec 29, 2015 @ 12:50 AM | 9,555 Views
I've built many kits during my 30+ years in this hobby. Back in the day, nearly everything came in kit form. If you wanted a good RC car, you were in for a weekend of building. Along the way, you would learn how that car worked and you would know how to repair it when the time came. You knew that every part that needed loc-tite had it and you knew that every bolt and screw was tight. I can't remember a single kit build that ever lost a bolt on the first run or stripped a gear on the first run or had a glitchy servo right out of the box.

That doesn't happen anymore.

If it isn't a pro level, race spec kit, it probably comes pre-assembled now and they do a craptastic job of it. We've all heard it over and over again about loc-tite and metal to metal screws and check the gear mesh and blah, blabbity blah but none of that should matter. If it's pre-built, then it should be built properly. You should not have to go back and fix other people's shoddy work or be without your brand new investment because some pinhead couldn't be bothered to apply the proper amount of loc-tite or torque a screw down properly. I never had the problems with kits that I have with RTRs. Over the past few years, the number of cars that I've owned or have been around that required repairs or replacement parts after the first couple runs is approaching ridiculous.

It's not like I used high end electronics in those kits I used to build because... I didn't. Futaba S3003 servos, Dynamite ESCs, cheap...Continue Reading
Posted by SD One. | Jul 30, 2012 @ 08:41 PM | 9,942 Views
A few weeks ago, I built a quadrotor. I had no experience with this sort of thing and I've always sucked at helis, but I built one anyway. They're neat and that's good enough for me. I looked at the E-flite mQX and flew one but for $140, I thought I could do better.

So I went to Hobbyking and found this. I have many 3S 1300 packs and this is the perfect quad for them.

To finish it, I ordered a set of HK Blue 12A ESCs, Turnigy Park 300 1080 kV motors, Turnigy 8045 / 8045R props, the HK 2.1 quad controller, an ESC programming card, the USB flash unit for the control board and a bag of short receiver leads. Cost before shipping was $138. Take that, E-flite!

One week later, I was building a quad in a hot garage. It only took a couple of hours to build, much faster than building a plane. Unfortunately, I could not get the firmware flash tool to work with Windows 7. The next day on my WinXP machine at work, I flashed the control board with X-copter 4.7 firmware, set it up according to the guy who wrote the firmware and fired it up out behind the shop in a small patch of grass.

It instantly flipped over backwards. After some troubleshooting, I determined that one of the motors was bad. I disassembled the motor and it was a mess inside. Epoxy everywhere, dripping out of the can, pooling in the dome, bubbles... lots of bubbles and some very brittle motor leads. I contacted HobbyKing and the motors were now...Continue Reading
Posted by SD One. | Dec 12, 2011 @ 12:36 AM | 10,345 Views
This is my Stormbach 442.

Inspired by the Sbach 342 and based on the FoamEIIX from 3DBatix, this is my idea of something a little different. The "Sbipe" was originally loaded with over 160 super bright LEDs but having flown it before and after, I saw the LEDs strip it of its awesomeness. They didn't add that much weight but it flew like a pig and made it difficult to balance. After only two night flights, they were removed and a lighter power system was installed.

This is what happened next.

Stormbach 442 (6 min 15 sec)

And here is the night flight.

Stormbach 442 Night Flight (2 min 30 sec)
...Continue Reading
Posted by SD One. | Jul 01, 2011 @ 09:29 AM | 12,944 Views
Sold 4 planes. Bought one new plane and a DX8. The DX8 got recalled. I won't see it for a few weeks.

New plane! The Sebart Sebach 30E. I bought it from GravesRC in Orlando and it was in my hands two days later. (Yesterday) I started building it last night and I'm down to the two tail servos and the motor. I probably won't get to fly over the long weekend. Maybe next week.
Posted by SD One. | Mar 27, 2011 @ 01:42 PM | 11,505 Views
The weather sucked for flying this weekend so I built a new plane instead. This is the first scratch foamy build that I took the time to paint before assembly. It doubled the build time but I think the final result is worth the effort.

It has 2 HXT500s in the tail, an HXT 900 for the ailerons, Super Tiger 20A ESC, Spektrum 6110 receiver, Exceed 370 1380 Kv motor and a Graupner 10x5 prop. It will fly on 2S 1800 or 3S 1300 LiPo packs....Continue Reading