KristofferR's blog View Details
Archive for July, 2019
Posted by KristofferR | Jul 25, 2019 @ 02:27 AM | 3,677 Views
Short recap:

FunRay bought 2017. Spent years on a shelf. Build start. Leading edges wrong in kit, fixed swiftly by Swedish distributors Autopartner.
One minor hitch, wings would not seat perfect, wing joiner bottomed out. 2mm foam removed. All good.
Otherwise easily assembled.
I taped all edges for aerodynamic efficiency.

Turnigy SK3 3640 1050
12x6,5prop
ZTE Mantis 65A
2000 mAh 3s (needs bigger batt)
EMax servos
MPX RX-9 and Cockpit SX

Weight 1772 g
Static 45A measured (battery limits this)
2600g thrust calculated

It climbs vertical.
It is glides quite fast and retains energy well.
Roll rate is very good ( ailerons and mixed flaps)
CG 3-4mm behind the dots still give very faint positive stability, but touchy elevator. I will go to the dots.
Responsive! I could not handle high dual rates.
Excellent glide, in reflex and camber too.
Stall, drops a wing and recovers after ... perhaps 6-8 m.
Despite butterfly, surprisingly reluctant to come down.
No foam feeling. Just sort of solid.

I think it will be great on the slope.
Posted by KristofferR | Jul 25, 2019 @ 02:06 AM | 3,283 Views
It turned out pretty well. The Tamiya TS-19 metallic blue is really good looking.

I put matte clear paint on the big square logo, polished the aluminum panels and then put matte clear on them too and wrote some text on them.

I still would have wanted to do the text for the aluminum panels better, but since I’m not keeping this TX it is better to let the new owner do it.

My personal setup would be using the throttle cut free mixer trick and I might swap the flap/spoiler cables like Ville. Also an extended neck strap arm to get the balance right.

A pro approach would be to use some stickers or print out something nice.
Posted by KristofferR | Jul 20, 2019 @ 04:37 PM | 3,045 Views
A few weeks ago, I absent-mindedly bid on a Cockpit SX on a local auction site.
What I really wanted was the receiver, but I thought my bid would be too low and forgot about it.

To my surprise I won the auction and got the receiver and transmitter in the mail.

The transmitter was truly hideous. The pics did show it, but I had not been looking at them close enough. The gray surface was worn down, the whole thing dirty and gross.

Hmm. I decided to dismantle and to my disappointment, almost all the plastic pins were broken inside. I threw the parts in a box.

A week later I decided to look at it again and figured there was little to lose by trying to repair it.

After serious cleaning a I painted the front with Tamiya TS-19 metallic blue (white primer underneath) glued the little pins back as best as I could and put the thing back together.

The glue has no chance holding the screws so I had to glue some parts in place and use two pieces of balsa to support the switch board for the toggle wheel and trim buttons.

I also realise how much better my new Cockpit is. So this will be sold when I’m done!
Posted by KristofferR | Jul 08, 2019 @ 02:43 AM | 3,906 Views
Normally, I tend to modify the stock decals on my kits, but I really like the looks of the FunRay decals.

Also, I hope the design is thought out and will be good for visibility.

The sheet is of xcellent quality and easy to apply, even the big ones on the wings went on smoothly.

Soon ready for maiden flight
Posted by KristofferR | Jul 07, 2019 @ 12:30 AM | 3,925 Views
The FunRay build continues.

I hit a stop when the kit contained two sets of left (or right?) leading edges for the wing. The seller RCFlight and main importer Autopartner solved it quickly. (My kit is an early batch and it spent over a year on a shelf in my closet!)

Most of the assembly is straightforward and aided by the excellent instructions.
I noticed one exception and that was when assembling the plane. The wings would not go all the way in. Apparently the protruding wing joiners bottomed out in the EPP foam. I measured three times and then removed 3-4 mm of foam and that was it.

The most time was spent on the cabling, the wings are designed for MPX M6 connectors and I made my own cables which required 24 soldering points...

Tip: Make sure the connectors to the tail servos are secured somehow. I accidentally pulled my rudder cable out while programming the TX and it took about 45 minutes to sort it!