A Useless Geek's blog View Details
Archive for September, 2009
Posted by A Useless Geek | Sep 08, 2009 @ 07:28 PM | 11,653 Views
Specage:

AUW: 180 grams
Battery: Turnigy 500 mAH 2S 20C
Motor: Turnigy 2204-14T with a GWS 8x4.3 prop
ESC: 8/10A Super Simple
Servos: hexTronik HXT500 (x2)

I had to play with the Smart Dart configuration to see what I could get away with. The result was the Smarty Pants. Very slow flight, very stable, really easy to fly. My maiden flight I sent it up and down the street under the overhanging trees. Really, really easy to fly -- did I mention that?

I made the wings pretty wide, put some asymmetrical trail in there (trying to move the CL back), and added a KFm2 to it. The fuselage started out as three layer sandwich. Now I make it with 10 mm Depron and a 1/8" square birch or spruce spar along the bottom edge. This prevents the fuse from cracking during really high G maneuvers, of which this plane is plenty capable.

I use CA in some places, but mostly yellow Gorilla Glue. GG is fast becoming my adhesive of choice, since it can be made to cover a multitude of sins. Heh.


"Plans"

Numbers in the drawing are millimeters. Rather than try to put a V notch in the top of the fuse I use a couple pieces of balsa angled trailing edge material slitted to the right size. The KFm2 upper panels are dimensioned off of the main wing. I didn't bother with calculating exactly how much narrower in span the KF panels are; I just used TLAR with a visual approach. The wing roots need to be angled so that the assembled wing is at about 165 degrees or so. This...Continue Reading