Pappyjkns's blog View Details
Archive for February, 2016
Posted by Pappyjkns | Feb 26, 2016 @ 02:45 PM | 3,917 Views
Feb. 24/16:
Now that I have the DL50 DLG plane flying fairly consistently, its time to refer back to my to-do list and focus on the next task: The upgrading of the electric motor systems on my 2M Aspire sailplane.

I removed the old brushed system, a 550 motor with an attached gearbox and of course the massive 3,300 Mah Ni-MH. This system weighed in at an astounding 26 ozs! The new system; a E-flyte Park 480 motor rated at 22 amps continuous and 28 amps in burst mode, an E-flyte programmable 30 amp ESC, a 3s, 2,200 Mah Li-po 30C battery all weigh in around 10 ozs.

The main concern is balancing the plane with the new system installed. The old system had the massive battery positioned at the cg under the wing. So in my mind, I really only have to consider the weight of the motor, gearbox & ESC which would be around 12 oz.

Based on the above figures, I figured I would be somewhere between 1-2 ozs. under weight. The problem with the Park 480 is that it is an outrunner style motor whereas the old 550’s case didn’t rotate. Now I have to figure a way to mount the outrunner in the narrow nose of the plane. without having it rub on the fuselage.

This is where my new Dremel tool came in handy as I used a variety of tool heads to grind out a bevel on the front ring and widen the interior of the sides. Next I had to fashion a motor mount. I knew I had some leeway weight wise, so I used a piece of maple that I had laying around. I ground the sides with a...Continue Reading
Posted by Pappyjkns | Feb 22, 2016 @ 02:02 PM | 4,267 Views
After conferring with the commander in chief, aka "the wife" I was able to squeak out a 1 1/2 hour window to go flying this morning. I packed up my gear & the DL50 known affectionately as "Caution, the butchered Bird" and headed over to the nearby reservoir/park. I was greeted with bright sunny skies, -2C temps & 15-20 kms north east winds. Hmmm.....this should be interesting!

I determined the wind direction with my portable wind vane and went about chucking the bird into the wind. Now, a couple of things to keep in mind; A. I'm older than dirt!, B. I perform a modified straight armed launch, not the normal 360 degree spin and launch. Basically, I stand still and twist backwards then untwist and let 'er go! C. I don't have a throwing peg.....I just hold the tip of the wing between my fingers and thumb. D. I'm in shape.....but it just happens to be round! E. I'm a relative nooobie at DLG launching.

Having said that, I managed to get in over 20 throws! A couple of firsts for me: I managed to get in a 60 sec flight.....first time ever! I also obtained 56, 52 and a 48 sec flights. Don't get me wrong, the majority were around the 30 sec mark. Also, I managed my first ever "catch the plane out of the air"! There aren't any flaps so this plane can come at you quite quickly. Today, however, because of the strong winds, I was able to bring it around into the wind were it just hovered like an oversized gull! Waaaay to cool!

The time went by quickly & soon it was time to head back. It was a perfect morning out chucking and I managed to bring 'er back undamaged again! Another plus! I've attached a couple of pictures of my set up. Thanks for taking the time to read my blog!

Posted by Pappyjkns | Feb 18, 2016 @ 02:58 PM | 4,358 Views
Feb. 18/16:
Oh boy…..The weather gods must have heard me bitchin’ cause this morning the sun has returned and the winds are staying calm……time to go a chuckin’ I grabbed my recently repaired DLG and headed over to a new city park which is actually a covered water reservoir. The temperature was hovering around -10C with a very light 6 km northeast wind.

The one good thing about winter flying is the nice soft coating of snow which helps reduce the carnage often associated with a less than perfect landings into the frozen turf!

I met Terry onsite, he is a new member of my r/c club who was curious about DLG flying. Well…..I have to tell you we had a blast! We chucked that DL50 up into the air over 20-25 times. No flight lasting more than 30 secs. but boy we had fun. He was impressed how the little plane circled slowly and floated around the field. I think he is hooked!

Even though the field has plane eating goal posts on either end, I am pretty excited about future flying here. The field is about 60 -70ft higher than the surrounding area so in effect, there is a possibility of some slope soaring on the south, west and north sides depending on prevailing winds.

Just another enjoyable morning of DLG flying!

To top off my day, when I got back home & checked my email, I received an email with plans for a scratch built Icarus 48” ws DLG! Life is good!

Posted by Pappyjkns | Feb 17, 2016 @ 01:36 PM | 3,665 Views
I was having one of those know, where things just don't seem to be working out and you start wondering "why did I bother to get out of bed?" We all have them, just a part of life. Anywho, I was working on my model planes with my trusty 30 year old rotary tool when all of a sudden nada! Motor was running but the tip wasn't spinning? What the hell? I stopped what I was doing & opened up the tool. A small plastic type of toothed connector had finally given up the ghost. I looked around but its hard to find replacement parts for these old tools. Finally, I didn't want to waste any more time and I went to Canadian all purpose hardware store, and picked up a new Dremel 4200 with the patented E-Z quick change head. The kit includes six attachments & 40 accessory pieces. I was like a kid on Christmas morning! Woo Hoo! I love the versatility of this tool! It will be put to good use with my model building & repairs. I highly recommend it!

Posted by Pappyjkns | Feb 17, 2016 @ 01:06 PM | 3,780 Views
Feb. 17/16: Putting Humpty Dumpty Back Together Again!
Since my last post, winter has finally decided to show up with a extremely cold, Polar vortex descending on Southern Ontario. With temperatures going as low as -30C! Colder than a witch’s ah…um…butt! Lol! Outdoor activities were restricted to vehicular travel.

This worked out well for me as I used this down time to work on the damaged DL50. I assessed the carnage, the nose section was pretty beat up. I tried to CA all the pieces back together but the resultant repair looked quite ghastly. What to do? I decided to just hack off the front end of fuselage and build a new nose made up of glued pieces of balsa. It was a real challenge trying to hold on to that tiny nose piece as I shaped on the disc sander. No more dead skin on me knuckles to worry about!

I sanded the fuselage end square with the help of a sanding block, then glued on the oversized nose piece. Now I had to bring the nose piece down to size to match the contours of the fuselage.

When I was satisfied with the results, I decided to spray paint the fuselage with white paint. I only had a can of high gloss automotive paint and of course the high gloss showed every defect…..bummer. I sanded and applied a number of coats realizing that every layer adds weight. Before the repairs, the plane weighed in at 255 grams. A tad heavy. I suspect it will be more like 260 g. when I’m done.

I kept trying to get a perfect finish when a little voice in...Continue Reading
Posted by Pappyjkns | Feb 14, 2016 @ 10:20 AM | 3,955 Views
Feb 2/16:
Happy Groundhog Day! It was bright & sunny when I got up this morning with the temperatures hovering around the freezing mark. Most importantly, the air was totally calm! After a quick breakfast, I was loaded up & out the door to the nearby Olympic Park with my DL50 and Futaba 10J radio. I arrived at the park around 9 am. There was still some frost on the ground. After turning on the transmitter then hooking up the receiver battery, I did a quick check to make sure the controls were responding. At the top of the hill, I gave it a gentle toss and it flew out fairly level on a wide left turn. I picked it up and dialled in some right rudder & some down elevator. Next I gave it some gentle tosses at ground level and it stalled again before I could get the down elevator inputed from the stick. I found it a challenge to hold onto that transmitter, throw the plane, re-grab the radio and input the down elevator at the proper time and the proper amount.

I threw it up again & this time I managed to get the down elevator inputted before it stalled. I managed to get in maybe five flights before the elevator caught the ground & broke off from its mounting. Baaah! This plane is so light and fragile at certain points and the frozen ground is so unforgiving!

So after 30 minutes, it was time to take it back for repairs. I’m not sure about the cg balance at this point with the battery moved back….I think it was okay…..didn’t get enough flying time...Continue Reading
Posted by Pappyjkns | Feb 13, 2016 @ 03:26 PM | 3,504 Views
It’s January 14/16 and I just arrived back from the park near our house. The park is large enough to fly the DL50 and I spent a good 1 1/2 hrs. flinging the glider into the 10-12 Km winds. This was my third time out & I did much better reaching altitudes in excess of 100’…..maybe more. There aren’t many thermos to catch in the middle of winter, but you do get a nice 30 sec flight each time, which all helps in restoring my flying abilities! I like the fact that I can, on a moments notice, throw the plane & radio into the van and drive for only 5 minutes to get to the park. Rather than spend most of the day driving to our flying field, flying and driving back. Now I can get in some fun flying for an hour at a time!

Winter of 2016 Projects:
- Upgrading the motor & electrics for the 2 M Aspire Sailplane
- Installing new servos in the old 100” Sagitta Sailplane.
- Stripping & recovering the 118” wings of the Bird of Time Sailplane.
- Preparing a motor mount & installing a brushed electric motor in the Bird Of Time sailplane.
- Build the 100” “Apogee” sailplane kit (this is a old ’80’s model).
- Finish off building the Goldberg Piper Cub.
- Continue adjusting & flying the DL50

January 27/16:
I had added some weight to the tail of the DL50 to make it balance at the recommended balance point. I took it to the nearby park but was a little hesitant as the wind was gusting up to 15 km/hr. It seemed to be lighter down on the field so I...Continue Reading
Posted by Pappyjkns | Feb 12, 2016 @ 12:32 PM | 4,249 Views
Spring 2015:
I found this broken sailplane that had been squirrelled away in the crawl/storage space of our house. I honestly can’t remember where or when I acquired this plane. I have a vague memory of trying to hand launching it whereby it promptly dove straight into the dirt and snapped the nose off. The covering was quite hideous, so I stripped the covering off the fuselage, repaired the nose & recovered with bright yellow Ultracote.

I took it to our soaring field and gave it a few hand launches. It seemed to float along pretty well, so I figured the balance must have been okay. The club instructor had set up a hi-start line & was using it to get his gentle lady up into the air. I asked him if he would take my “Sophisticated Lady” up for its maiden flight. I have never used a hi-start before and was amazed how much pull was put on the line. He let her go and it immediately performed this high, wide arc to the right then flew upside down before piling straight into the ground, exploding into a cloud of yellow dust! We both looked at each other….what the hell happened?… idea. If I ever get ambitious, I may rebuild it. But for now, I have too many other projects on the go.

In October/15 for my 67th birthday, I bought myself a new 10 Channel Futaba T10J programmable, 2.4 Mhz radio transmitter and receiver. This was a big step up from my older 72 Mhz radios.

I didn’t get much flying time in 2015. We were out west to Alaska & Tsawwassen...Continue Reading
Posted by Pappyjkns | Feb 11, 2016 @ 08:13 PM | 3,704 Views
R/C Diary

Well, this is a first, I've never done a blog before but I had started up a diary offline and decided what the hey.....maybe this could be a blog? So here goes nuttin' It's quite long, so I'm going to break it up into parts until I get caught up to the present.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away……I use to fly R/C gas models. It was probably some 35+ years ago and actually joined MAAC….#10277. At the time, I just flew high wing, three channel beginner planes with .40cc gas engines. I joined The Flying Tigers, a local R/C club but somehow, life intervened and I lost touch with the hobby.

Fast forward, to 2013, I had been re-connected with my oldest brother who was an avid modeller. Due to a blotched knee surgery, he was confined to a wheelchair. Consequently, he was selling off his collection of model planes. One of them, a 2 m electric Aspire sailplane caught my eye. I ended up buying the plane, a 4 channel Futaba 72 Mhz radio and a multi-charger.

The Aspire was driven by an older style brushed 550 motor attached to a gear box which was mated to a 12” x 8” Airscrew folding propeller. The original 7 cell, 1,700 Mah, Ni-Cad battery had seen better days and needed to be replaced. I went to the local hobby store to find a replacement. They only had 3,300 Mah Ni-Mh replacements. In my ignorance, I figured…..hey twice the capacity….that’s got to be good right? So I bought two! Later I would find out that these were the wrong batteries for my...Continue Reading