mperaltaoz's blog View Details
Archive for October, 2013
Posted by mperaltaoz | Oct 28, 2013 @ 12:28 AM | 9,266 Views
I wasn't very sure what to build next...
I was looking for something different, something I could take to the field and be sure no one else was going to have.

After going in circles for a while, my friend Mick came up with this idea: "Why don't you build a Horten Ho-229? It's a wing, a glider, and a jet with twin engines."

It looked like quite a challenge. I was dubious at the beginning, but then I found some plans for a big balsa version and soon realized I could build it in foam.
After a short while, I was totally sold on the idea.

I must confess, though... it's been the most challenging build I've ever done. But it's also been very rewarding.
Seeing that bird up in the air is quite a sight. It has a lot of presence, is very fast, it glides when cutting power... very interesting.

Here is the Build Log, and below you can find some videos and pictures.

Maiden flight:
Horton HO229 Maiden flight (6 min 42 sec)


Flight #3:
Horton HO229 Flight No3 (4 min 7 sec)
...Continue Reading
Posted by mperaltaoz | Oct 15, 2013 @ 10:34 PM | 8,216 Views
Now I'm getting serious about this...

Since I lost the DR1 Fokker to a spiral of death, and after finishing the F-15, I decided it was time to replace the Fokker with another WWI plane.
I've always liked the SE5a, so it was a no brainer which one to pick.

This time I decided to take more risks and go for something more challenging, so I downloaded plans for a balsa model and converted them to foam on the fly.
After analyzing the plans in detail, I realized the conversion was doable with some analysis and re-design during the build process.

So, I got my hands dirty again and built it.
It wasn't easy, but I'm very pleased with the end result.

Here is the Build Log in case you are interested (plans and build pictures are there).

Specs:
Wingspan: 1100 mm
AUW: 950 g
Motor: D4023 850Kv
Prop: 12x6 (on 3S 2200 mAh) or 11x6 (on 4S 2200 mAh)
ESC: BlueSeries 40A

Here is a video and some pictures... (it was quite gusty so the landing wasn't great)
Mario's SE5a scratchbuild (4 min 50 sec)
...Continue Reading
Posted by mperaltaoz | Oct 14, 2013 @ 12:17 AM | 8,973 Views
My 3rd build was an F-15 Eagle, which I built based on Steve Shumate's plans.
I modified the plans to accommodate a 64 mm EDF instead of the original pusher used by Steve.
I had never flown an EDF jet before, so it was double challenge: build it and fly it!
Great experience. I've learnt a lot about EDFs and the plane flies great.

Here are some key modifications I made:
- Top section is attached with 6 screws that can be removed for easy access to all electronics.
- Landing gear with steerable nose wheel.
- EDF with thrust tube
- Both elevators controlled by a single central servo

I ran it originally on 3S but then upgraded it to 4S (a lot better). I've also cut cheater holes for better air intake and adjusted the thrust tube to 80% FSA of more speed.

Some pictures and videos below (sorry I don't have any more recent videos, but it flies a lot faster now).

Maiden flight (on 3S, underpowered):
Mario's F-15 Scratch build EDF - Maiden Flight (5 min 37 sec)


2nd flight (on 4S, much better):
Mario's scratch build F-15 4S Takeoff (1 min 27 sec)
...Continue Reading