Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
rcgreaves's blog View Details
Posted by rcgreaves | Jan 31, 2019 @ 02:08 PM | 16,067 Views
Yeah so maybe year ten is the charm. I schmucked this wonderful bird nearly tenyears ago and several attempts to bash it met with disappointment. I decided to return to the original configuration but with some considerable faux pas:

I lengthened the turtledeck area by 4 inches..seemed cool at the time. Not so much today. tail moment too long.

I repaired the after bulkhead with a solid chunk of ply..a twin boomer doesnt need room for controls inside. So I had to route that bulkhead with a roto zip in situ.. what a hassle!!

The Asto 605 geared was plenty on 5s but years back I picked up an outrunner for the quiet hum Ive come to love...only mounting it to rails is ..well complicated. So with the cold and snow this week I dove in and created an nice custom mount with a nose ring for maybe a cowl mount point.

So as a camera platform Vickers Vimy style it would benefit from aft mounted servos. Not helpful here.. forward servo mount restored...check.

So I invested in a redundant RX battery set up.. probably overkill, Castle BEC is my first choice but with the long tail momoment and my current packs being 5s 4000 not 4450 I opted to create a THIRD hatch to stash the RX batteries and fail over electronic under the battery tray. I had installed this glob in the bomb bay, but who wants a receiver in the bomb bay..I have a cool bomb drop made from a wooded cigar box... I'll check c/g during assembly, it the c/g works without the added weight I'll off the seperate receiver in favor of light weight and one less point of failure...
Posted by rcgreaves | Jun 13, 2010 @ 11:12 PM | 5,123 Views
While it doesn't look much different than the image at the top of the blog I've put a ton of time into it this week. The wing center bay was reinforced with ply and tapped for bolt on wing attach. I wrestled with the boom attachments and arrived at a method I really like... The fore and aft portions are supported by a short length of foam water heater insulation tube. Two conduit clamps and blind nuts lock the booms in place. I was so so thrilled to have the incidences dial in and the whole thing take on a nice rigid feel. I still need to cover all the open bays and install the wing servos, but the wing is nearly done. My next big challenge is where to locate the elevator and rudder servos. I can make a bay in the h stab or mount them ahead of the Vstab or I could run cables and mount them forward? I may regret adding weight aft of cg the tail moment is 19" now just like the original ST.


Posted by rcgreaves | Apr 04, 2010 @ 09:44 AM | 5,380 Views
I needed to do something other than work last week so I dove into the restoration of my Broken Senior Telemaster. Power in the new version will jump from the lowly 750w Astro 40G to a 2000 watt Eflite 160 outrunner on 10s.

The design challenges have been interesting. See the pics at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/rcgreave...45782411842418

I went back and forth about mounting the booms off the fuse.. glad I revised to the wing mounting, it looks right. Next steps are to convert to a bolt on wing mounting, Servo mounts for the H stab, Motor mounting and the crucial jig up to dial in the empennage mounting to get 2 degrees incidence on the h stab. I hope to be able to carry a heavier video camera or DSLR with confidence.
Posted by rcgreaves | Mar 02, 2010 @ 10:35 PM | 5,853 Views
I didn't properly recharge my transmitter battery and it cost me my favorite plane today. NEVER try to quick charge a NIMH pack. Stupid pilot error!
Posted by rcgreaves | Jan 03, 2010 @ 11:08 PM | 6,363 Views
One of my resolutions for this year of 2010 is to chronicle some of my building and flying fun. The ESKA is a laser cut kit, I believe the designer is a MARCEE member in Minneapolis, St Paul area. Thanks to my friend Tim who gave me the kit as a gift back in about 2005

Here's a link: http://www.electroflying.com/eska.html