burkefj's blog View Details
Archive for August, 2014
Posted by burkefj | Aug 10, 2014 @ 08:50 PM | 8,872 Views
I had built a 30" long natter rocket glider back a few years ago, designed for estes E-9's or E-6 aerotech motors. The AUW though due to the forward CG was 13 oz and the wing area was a bit small for a good glide.

The original full flying tail was a bit big on this upscale, so I trimmed the inboard ends and mounted them permanently to the tail which helps stiffen it, and then just did full flying outer portions. I mounted the servos on the underside of the fuse and just angled the pushrods up to the tail surfaces and they lined up nicely. I added two parallel carbon struts from the tail to the fuse to prevent slight twisting under hard roll inputs.

I decided to do 136% upsize to make the length 41" and just fit onto a depron sheet at an angle. This gave me almost 2x the wing area and the Due to the longer length and same tail weight, the nose weight was reduced somewhat and AUW came in at 15 oz rtf.

I used some olive model master spray for the body with some flat gray camo using a cardboard stencil/template I made. I used some silver sharpie to do panel lines and a bit of trim monokote for the windows.

I used some thin styrene sheet laminated on the outside of the depron to support the pivot rod for the tail and to help prevent twisting. Had two test flights today, boost was nice and straight and glide was very slow and docile, a lot nicer than the original smaller version. I now have 11 flights , just put in a bit of downtrim for boost setting and reduced uptrim for glide to make it more hands off.

Here's the video..:

Scratch built Bachem Natter RC Rocketed boosted glider (1 min 22 sec)


Frank