Bombay's blog View Details
Archive for November, 2008
Posted by Bombay | Nov 25, 2008 @ 08:44 PM | 32,632 Views
This is my experience in converting a ParkZone Slo-V to brushless. I'll call it my Slo-V Brushless (SVBL). Maybe you will get some ideas for your own conversion.

First off, I want to say thank you to NoFlyZone (Chuck). I've asked a few questions here and there and he has always come thru with patience...and good answers, too.

Wing and V-tail
When I purchased my Parkzone Slo-V, the person that I bought it from included a few extras. I had an extra wing and tail set, so I decided to paint it up in the Red Baron style. I used the stickers from a Slow Stick, used the scallop design on the trailing edges, and added a few touches of my own.

First, I put on a base coat of cheap craft acrylic paint in red. Next, I used Krylon H2O latex spray paint as a final coat. H2O works well on foam (doesn't eat it) and I also heard that latex spray paint is one of the lighter paints available. Next, I applied the decals and drew the lines and scallops with black markers. Lastly, I finished up the black areas with some more craft paint (semi-gloss this time).

Stick Fuselage and Landing Gear
The fuselage on the V is made of carbon fiber. They are strong and light, but can easily splinter. They are around $10 for the fuse and attached accessories. I also picked up a set of the stock control rods and landing struts. I decided to change up the wheels a bit, so I chose some 5-spoke foam wheels. I painted them red and added the Dubro micro wheel collars. I did have to...Continue Reading
Posted by Bombay | Nov 10, 2008 @ 09:48 PM | 26,678 Views
I noticed that the hinges on the elevator seem to offer different levels of resistance. When looking at the plane from the tail end, the far right side of the elevator seems to have more play in it then the left side. I think this is due to the weakening of the hinges and the off-center pull from the fishing line and rubber bands. I tried to adjust/strengthen the hinges before using clear packing tape, but it didn't seem to resolve the issue. I don't think this torquing of the elevator caused any problems in flight, but it seems to me that it could cause the plane to tilt left or right when elevator is applied.

I decided that I would replace the horizontal control surface while I have my plane apart for a pushrod mod. While at the LHS, I came across the Du-bro nylon hinges (Part 116). They look well built and seemed very light...just about the same size as the SkyFly hinges. Here we go...


First, I lined up a nylon hinge with the SF hinge and put a pencil mark where the hinge will start. I also pencil marked the width of the hinge on the elevator and flap...and on the bottom and top.


Next, I cut the SF hinges to remove the elevator flap. I then removed the SF hinge from the flap.


Next, I chose a knife with a wide, angled blade. This will allow me to cut straight down, and outward at the same time. A narrower blade would not yield the same results. I drew a line on the knife that is roughly the same depth as the hinge. I wanted to make sure my cut was deep...Continue Reading
Posted by Bombay | Nov 10, 2008 @ 09:34 PM | 14,861 Views
Skyfly Pushrod Modification

Here is another version of the Skyfly pushrod modification. I will call it “my” version, because I did it with several goals in mind:

1) Do not remove the electronics
2) Make the modification visually unnoticeable
3) Use as many of the SkyFly2 parts as possible
4) Run the pushrods through the boom
5) Do not cut into the fuselage of the SkyFly
6) Do not alter the center of gravity (CoG)
7) Do not destroy the SkyFly in the process

Anticipated Parts List:

1) 1 SkyFly
2) SkyFly2 pushrods – Part # HCAA3878
3) Du-Bro Mini E/Z Connectors – Part # 845
4) Du-Bro E-Z Connectors – Part # 121
5) Control Horns SkyFly2 – Part # HCAA3886
6) Screw-Lock Connectors SkyFly2 – Part # HCAA3887
7) Screws SkyFly2 – Part # HCAA3881
8) 1/6” shrink tubing

Tools List:

1) Needle-nose pliers
2) Long, curved-nose tweezers
3) Scotch tape
4) White craft paint
5) Dremmel tool and bits
6) Chili Cheese Fritos
7) Parts tray
8) Scissors
9) Various micro screwdrivers


First let me say that I really did not have any major problems with the original pull-pull fishing line and rubber band control system on the SkyFly. It did need continual adjustment…and the rubber bands did start to stretch out, but I did not experience any crashes or failures of the stock system. It actually had a few good points. It was extremely lightweight and it was easy to fine tune. With that said, fishing line does abrade and rubber bands do stretch and/or decay. Since...Continue Reading