R_G's blog View Details
Posted by R_G | Dec 05, 2021 @ 10:47 AM | 53,367 Views
After trying various ways to cut balsa into triangle stock and not being very happy with the results I decided to design my own tri-stock stripper and came up with this handy little tool. With it I've been able to get consistent results stripping balsa sticks as long as 36". It's designed to work with soft to medium weight balsa and can produce 1/8, 5/32, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16 & 3/8 tri-stock. With the optional 1/2 adapter, 1/2 triangle stock can be made. Hard balsa will not work very well and will most likely jam and possibly damage the tool.

This tool is produced on a Formlabs Form3 SLA 3D resin printer utilizing their Tough 2000 resin. It is very durable.

For anyone that might be interested the stripper is available for purchase through my website here.

Posted by R_G | Aug 21, 2021 @ 02:05 PM | 33,707 Views
First flight of 2021 at the MERCO MAC flying field in Greenville, Pa. with my trusty HobbyKing Glue-N-Go Series MIG-29.


HobbyKing MIG-29, Glue-N-Go Series (5 min 21 sec)

Posted by R_G | Mar 28, 2021 @ 03:30 PM | 11,847 Views
I had an older camera case that wasn't being used for anything, so I decided to turn it into a charging case for my power supply & 308Duo iCharger.

The base and the cable box were made from 1/4" birch plywood. For extra protection all the wood pieces received three coats of satin polyurethane. The hook & loop straps came from Secure Cable Ties. The balance boards are held in place with double side tape.

For a while now I've been thinking about purchasing a portable generator to take with me to the flying field so I wanted this case to be portable as well.

At the moment there are no extra holes in the case for cooling air. I'm hoping there's enough space between the power supply & charger that cooling holes won't be needed. But, I'll be keeping a close eye on it to make sure things don't get too hot and, if I have to, I will add some holes.

It was a simple & fun little project!

Posted by R_G | Oct 04, 2020 @ 08:01 PM | 11,004 Views
I learned to fly helis on a GMP Cricket back in 1980. It was a great little heli that was able to take a LOT of abuse! A few years back I came across a Cricket kit here in the RCG Classifieds and, on a whim, I purchased it!

I had planned on building it as a glow model, but the more I fly my electric stuff, the less interest I have in flying anything glow powered. I considered selling the kit, but then it hit me.....why not try an e-power conversion? So that's what I've decided to do.

The kit seems to be complete right down to all the paperwork. In the enclosed pamphlet there were even a couple photos of a two very familiar clowns as seen in the last photo below!

This will be a relatively slow build for a heli since I have to make a lot of the parts for the conversion plus I plan to incorporate all the little tricks that we learned back in the day to make the Cricket fly as well as it can.

The build thread is located here.

Posted by R_G | Dec 24, 2019 @ 08:40 PM | 14,474 Views
I have the next eight days off from work and I thought this would be a good time to update my Align T-Rex 700e with a Black Shark Fuselage.

I've been a big fan of this fuselage design from the very first time I saw one which was probably close to 30 years ago, give or take. I've had this fuselage kit for about four years now and it's high time it gets flown!

Posted by R_G | Nov 28, 2019 @ 09:07 PM | 14,436 Views
This past flying season I flew my new Sebart Mythos 50e for the first time and I really liked the way it flew and presented in the air. The only real complaint I had with the model was the spongy aluminum landing gear. The gear was not up to the task of handling the rough grass field that I fly from.

I liked the model well enough that I decided to splurge and purchased a pair of carbon fiber landing gear struts (Item #543) from f3alorenz.de. The carbon gear are a perfect match to the aluminum gear.

So, I spent part of this Turkey Day upgrading the landing gear.

Posted by R_G | Sep 29, 2019 @ 06:44 PM | 13,755 Views
I purchased this model about 10-12 years ago(I think ) and I've never been completely happy with how it flew, so I'll be stripping the covering and making a few minor changes to the airframe. The main issue is with the stab, the incidence is out a little making it difficult to trim. Had to fly it with a considerable amount of up elevator trim. I also want to change the color scheme. Not sure how long this project will take. It'll run parallel to my Super Kaos .60 build, so it may take a while.

Posted by R_G | Jan 05, 2014 @ 07:24 PM | 21,683 Views
After a 13 year, give or take, hiatus from helicopters I've recently been bitten by the bug again. I made the mistake of watching several WC and Nats videos which put me over the edge! As a result I've pulled the trigger on an Align T-Rex 700e F3C.

Thought I'd post some photos of the build.

Eventually I plan to wrap a Black Shark fuselage around this heli, but not until I fly it in pod & boom form for a while to workout the rust in my fingers. Might even try competing again at some point!

This is also my first serious foray into the world of electrics.

...Continue Reading
Posted by R_G | Aug 03, 2013 @ 07:23 PM | 18,640 Views

My Wood & Foam Bridi UFO .60 Build

This build began here on May 11, 2010.

Maiden fight was on July 21, 2013.

Number of flights as of September 28, 2013 - 35
Posted by R_G | Aug 03, 2013 @ 07:20 PM | 17,359 Views

My Bridi/Oxilia Prototype UFO .25 Build

This build began here on June 12, 2011.
Posted by R_G | Aug 03, 2013 @ 07:05 PM | 17,423 Views

Bridi Super Kaos .60 Build

This build began on February 16, 2013.