Sweetieinsf's blog View Details
Archive for May, 2013
Posted by Sweetieinsf | May 19, 2013 @ 01:43 PM | 13,292 Views
Turnigy all metal retracts with oleo struts: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=31835

Oleo Struts for the main gear: http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.php/products_id/2403

Part 1 - Strip the old fuse and repair wings: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=6057

Part 2 - Prep fuse for reassembly, Carbon Fiber reinforcment for nose gear mount/firewall: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=6091

Part 3 - Final Fuse assembly, CF Rod install, Retract/gear install: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=6103

Some final details: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=6213

First gear test video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=szzJB_TZSgc

Gear test with one main on a separate channel with a bit of delay programmed:
Turnigy All Metal Retracts w/Oleos - test with delay (0 min 28 sec)

Posted by Sweetieinsf | May 16, 2013 @ 12:10 AM | 11,961 Views
When I got into this last year who would have ever guessed I'd have *24* batteries in 6 months?!?! Certainly NOT me!

When I bought my 3rd battery I started numbering them with a Sharpie in the order I bought them. I also started writing the name of the plane(s) I'd specifically checked that battery in for COG. Also for most planes I'd use a Sharpie to mark a reference point on the battery and then when I was happy with it's placement in the plane I'd make a corresponding mark in the battery compartment of the plane.

All was well until the number of planes, and batteries, increased to a point where memory just wasn't good enough. For one thing the Sharpie marks would wear off so I couldn't read them. So I finally sat down with ALL the batteries and put a strip of masking tape on each one then marked
  1. The number
  2. The MAH rating
  3. The "C" rating
  4. The Cell Count
  5. The name(s) of the planes it had been COGed for
  6. And any referance marks for the specific planes

THEN I covered the masking tape with shipping tape so the marks wouldn't wear off with continued use. I also have several LiPo Charging Bags that I store them in - each bag labeled by cell count:
Name: batteries labeled.jpg
Views: 165
Size: 207.2 KB
Description: Name: batteries labeled with stroage bags.jpg
Views: 154
Size: 134.3 KB
Description:


Then there is CHARGING!! It was begining to become a real chore to charge 4, 6, or 8 batteries after every flying session - keeping an eye on them, changing them on the charger... Then I discovered PARELLEL CHARGING BOARDS! Picked up a couple from Hobby King for a few bucks and WHAT A RELEIF!!

Here is one of the...Continue Reading
Posted by Sweetieinsf | May 15, 2013 @ 11:23 PM | 12,532 Views
Purchased 3/6/13 form Horizon Hobby

Here is my new Stryker!
Name: 01 Stryker new-2.jpg
Views: 161
Size: 201.9 KB
Description: Name: 02 Stryker new.jpg
Views: 174
Size: 176.1 KB
Description:

After a "Close Encounter" with Mother Earth...
...Continue Reading
Posted by Sweetieinsf | May 15, 2013 @ 10:30 PM | 13,534 Views
Purchased 4/5/13 from MotionRC.com
Assembled 4/12 - 4/14/13

As of 5/15/13 I have not yet been able to fly her. It's been way to windy and so I continue to improve my flying/landing skills with my Dynam F4U Corsair and Dynam F6F Hellcat.

I haven't made to many modifications but I did:
  1. Install the FMS 1700 P-51 Wing Connectors
  2. Added a 5A UBEC
  3. Replaced the stock Gear Door Sequencer which required the replacement of the stock REVERSED (What's up with that FMS?!?!?) Gear Door Servos
  4. Slightly modified the battery tray and cover tang to allow for a 4200 45c 4S battery

Also since I fly from a pretty rough field I've been meaning to replace the stock strut springs with something a bit softer...

Basic assembly complete:
Name: 01 Assembly 1.jpg
Views: 208
Size: 165.4 KB
Description: Basic assembly complete Name: 02 Assembly 2.jpg
Views: 183
Size: 138.0 KB
Description: ...Continue Reading
Posted by Sweetieinsf | May 13, 2013 @ 09:26 PM | 17,319 Views
Although I found the Dynam Hellcat easy enough to land I thought I'd go ahead and install flaps since she is "Flaps Ready". Because I could find only one example of a flap mod on this plane (and I wasn't that sold on that setup) I decided I'd just go the route that seemed easy and effective. I used all stock Dynam parts:

6 - flap hinges - http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...ck-p-2117.html
2 - stock Hellcat control horns - http://www.nitroplanes.com/60p-f6f-12-servohorn.html
2 - stock servos - http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dy-1007.html

Also needed is a servo reverser or put each servo on a separate channel. Since I had a cheap reverser I went that route. Depending on the servos you use you may also need a couple of servo extension leads. With the stock Dynam/Detrum servos I had on hand I needed about 300mm extensions (which I've ordered since I had none that long in stock).

In these first two photos you can see I've completed the flap install on one side and this will be the goal on the other side.
Name: 01 Flaps First side Complete.jpg
Views: 595
Size: 131.3 KB
Description:
Name: 02 First side full down.jpg
Views: 543
Size: 156.7 KB
Description:

So let's get started on the other flap. This photo shows the wing stock:
...Continue Reading