landru's blog View Details
Posted by landru | Jun 01, 2021 @ 01:05 PM | 19,929 Views
A few details on the 900MHz antenna I used on a 2m electric glider with a FrSky R9MX receiver until recently.

The antenna was built based on calculated lengths without the benefit of testing with the equipment I later acquired. It performed so well, I simply kept flying with it.

For further details on the antenna construction and performance, see the post in the comments.
Posted by landru | Mar 06, 2021 @ 01:14 PM | 9,438 Views
Model: Art Hobby Sky 2m electric glider
Location: Urban park
Date: December 12, 2020

Transmitter 1: QX7 ACCESS, R9 external module, ACCESS protocol, 20dBm power, VAS Longshot antenna, vertically polarized
Transmitter 2: QX7 legacy, Ghost external module, GHST protocol, 20dBm power, DIY crosshair antenna, circularly polarized, other antenna deactivated

Receiver 1: R9 MX with DIY monopole with 2 ground plane radials, vertically polarized
Receiver 2: Ghost Atto with standard FrSky replacement monopole, vertically polarized

Transmitter and receiver 1 (R9) were used to control the model. Transmitter and receiver 2 (Ghost) were used to log data only.

During the test flight, I held transmitter 1 in my hands to control the model. Transmitter 2 rested on my flight bag on the ground in an upright position. The antennas on both transmitters were directional. However, I only tracked the model with the transmitter in my hands. This put the Ghost system at a possible disadvantage. Still, the link quality shows comparable performance. In fact, this result with Ghost is by the far the best I've obtained with any 2.4GHz system I've tested in a similar manner.
Posted by landru | Apr 25, 2020 @ 06:13 AM | 10,943 Views
Ongoing tests of G-RX8 firmware in an Art Hobby Sky 2m electric glider.

Date: April 11, 2020
Location: "Falcon Field" (urban park)
QX7 FW: 2.1.0 (beta)
G-RX8 FW: ACCST 2.1.0E (beta)
Notes: Uncommanded loop, likely a failsafe
Posted by landru | Jun 05, 2019 @ 12:20 AM | 7,495 Views
Until recently, a NAN Omega languished on my bench, partially completed. Truth be told, it had migrated off the bench into storage for many moons, a victim of my distraction by other projects and commitments.

Happily, things have changed. The Omega has been completed and flown. It was my first all-composite model. I can share a few pictures, impressions, and a lesson learned the hard way.

Tonight is the beginning. I'll jot down these few thoughts and add some pictures. In the coming days, I'll come back to round out the report. Stay tuned....Continue Reading