Micubano's blog View Details
Archive for March, 2014
Posted by Micubano | Mar 25, 2014 @ 11:26 AM | 3,201 Views
After putting off finishing the Goblin 500 for months, my wife finally asked for the dining room back. So I finished putting everything together and all the electronics are in place and programmed. All I have to do now is fly it. Unfortunately, since I started putting it together I have picked up 3 other planes and helis that take a 6S battery. Looks like I need to invest in a few more of them.
Posted by Micubano | Mar 12, 2014 @ 01:27 PM | 3,466 Views
My used Hornet 460 had a regular Go Pro mount under the canopy, so I decided to try it out an review it a little.

DualSky Hornet 460 - Regular Go Pro mount tests and review (9 min 11 sec)

Posted by Micubano | Mar 11, 2014 @ 12:06 PM | 3,917 Views
I was at a Fun Fly/Auction over the weekend and I was just there to fly...until I saw a DualSky Hornet 460 and Edge QQ. The Edge QQ was a little beat up and needed a servo, but the price was right and it came with a new ESC. I have to get some ends for the ESC wire to go into the board, but they swear it works. The DualSky Hornet 460 was a great deal at $200 RTF. I've already put 2 batts through it. I have to turn up the rates on it tonight and try some loops.

The Carbon-Z cub finally got in the air, but the collet kept slipping. I don't want to over tighten it, but I think I am going to have to or switch to the bolt on prop adapter. Maybe this weekend I will get the Carbon-Z Yak 54 3X in the air. Wait, I still have not flown my Striker 180 and the Zephyr V70 needs a test flight after all the repairs. Longer summer days cannot get here fast enough.
Posted by Micubano | Mar 05, 2014 @ 09:48 AM | 3,473 Views
All I have to do for the Goblin 500 is assemble the tail pushrod, but the weather really hasn't motivated me to do that yet. I was in the basement and saw the used Zephyr V70 that flipped and crashed in the fall during my first flight taunting me, so I spent a few hours going over it and getting it flight ready again.

after it crashed in the fall I tried taping the wings but the way the surfaces were mounted I could see that would not work. I was going to do a Foam Tac hinge, but when I redid my foamy a few months a go the guys from the local http://www.timeflyshobbytown.com store talked me into using DuBro hinges and doing a minor mod with an razor to the wings to give it full range. That worked great so I decided to do that to all 4 surfaces on the Zephyr. It seems to have worked, but I did not take the decals off to get directly to the foam. I used a little strapping tape in between some hinges to reinforce them just in case.

Overall I had to do the following repairs/mods, but now everything feels rock solid and responds like it did when I first got it at the auction.
  • Put DuBro hinges and strapping tape on all surfaces and cut a small angle on the edge of the surfaces to get full rage of motion.
  • Reinforced the tail with CF rod, epoxy and tape where that natural split occurs on the top by design because the bottom part cracked a little.
  • Repaired the one shredded servo wire with solder and heat shrink.
  • Used epoxy to reseat the plastic where the wing bolts go and put some tape around that and where the wings and body connect.
  • Used some CA around the servos that seemed to wiggle a bit.