FWAL's blog View Details
Archive for February, 2015
Posted by FWAL | Feb 24, 2015 @ 02:46 AM | 6,221 Views
Sunday morning I set off at 06:30 to the last South West District Winter Series race at Sedgemoor, Somerset. Prior to leaving the drive the windscreen required a good scrape to clear the ice, the dash was telling me to beware it was 0 deg C. It only just rose to 2 deg C in the 2 and 1/4 hrs it took to travel to the lake. At the lake it was off with the Sun glasses on with the wet weather gear. Six layers just about kept me warm and dry for the day.

SW IOM Winter Series, Sedgemoor (0 min 57 sec)


It didn't take long for the organisers to set up the race office and get the kettle and soup brewing. At this time the wind was pretty light and like a seasoned Green Keeper prior to a competition the buoys were layed in some awkward positions with the windward mark/finish line placed in the lee of the trees and leeward mark close to the bank and overhanging branches.
The skippers briefing was short and sweet and the 14 competitors were rigged and ready to race. Although, some were a little hasty and forgot something fairly important! A little warm up and the racing started at 10:00hrs
The racing was close and the left hand side was favoured by the fleet through out the day. Occasionally the centre paid off but you were likely to fall into a hole as you approached the windward mark/finish line which put pay to quite a few races for some skippers (me included) on more than one occasion. It wasn't long and the forecasted rain started and at the same time the wind...Continue Reading
Posted by FWAL | Feb 15, 2015 @ 06:11 AM | 5,233 Views
The pilot is raring to go and has been checking out the cockpit. Charlie was painted by a friend and what an absolutely superb job. The Aran jumper and Bomber jacket are wonderful. The metallic buckles and lifejacket are also extremely good. Now I must do the job justice with my finishings.
Posted by FWAL | Feb 14, 2015 @ 06:09 AM | 6,733 Views
These photo's were taken last July by Marcel who had travelled from Switzerland in his VW T5. The Bwlch was just one of his stop off's on his round Britain slope trip. Believe it or not it is very difficult to Slope soar in Switzerland due to the all the trees. It also appears that all the mountains are privately owned, permission has to be asked to cross each farmers land. Therefore, he finds it much better here in the UK.
Posted by FWAL | Feb 10, 2015 @ 04:16 PM | 5,685 Views
This morning I sealed the longerons and perimeter edges with watered down PVA. Then this evening I cut a paper template for the top deck covering. I used an off cut of turquoise Oracover to shrink down and leave the very distinctive ribbed shape.
I then masked around the Oracover leaving a small 5-8mm margin for the fibre glass to adhere directly to the surrounding balsa. Then I sprayed the Oracover with a list mist of 3M spray mount and then carefully applied the 200g/m2 of woven fibre glass. Using the spray mount securely holds the FG in place whilst wetting out and has no adverse effects. Using spray mount also allows you to really work the resin in sparingly without any puckering up or excessive movement or floating FG. I swear by the stuff.
All wetted out and overall I'm very pleased with the result. Hopefully, this method of covering will prove robust enough for some slope abuse.
Posted by FWAL | Feb 09, 2015 @ 08:36 AM | 5,338 Views
In the past I have melted down lead and poured it into a sand mould to form nose weight in one of my slopers. However, for this project I jut wanted to make a bulb without too much hassle. The idea of making a plug then a mould and then the excitement! of melting lead wasn't that appealing. So I decided to cheat and make the bulb from seven lead profiles glued together.
I made a MDF template of the shape using french curves and went for the 'If it looks good it probably is good approach for the position of the fin. The lead was then cut with the kitchen scissors and stuck together with CT1.
Then after leaving it for 24hrs I have just started to round off the corners. It still needs a fair bit of sanding and then I'll wrap it in an old pair of tights and give it a couple of coats of resin and paint. As you can see it has quite a narrow shape to cut through the water, similar to the hull.
Posted by FWAL | Feb 03, 2015 @ 04:58 PM | 6,268 Views
This is how I went about making my first fin. It started by purchasing a 1mm thick A3 size sheet of Carbon fibre. Cut two strips 50mm wide and cover the good face with low tack masking tape. Then chamfered the internal surfaces of the trailing edges (TE). Once done I taped the two TE's edge to edge and applied a thin bead of Gorrila epoxy. pic 1-2
Then folded one side over but spaced them apart at the leading edge (LE) and clamped the TE together. Once cured I cut a 4mm wide strip of carbon sheet and glued it just inside the LE which had previously been chamfered at roughly 45 degrees. Then I used epoxy to glue a 2mm dia carbon rod into the rebate to form a rounded LE. pic 3-4
It was then my intension to then push a 2mm dia rod inside the two skins to form an aerodynamic shape. However, as much as I tried I couldn't get the rod more than 12-13cm down inside the fin. So taking a big step backwards I split open the LE, positioned the spacer rod inside the fin and re glued together the LE. pic 5-6
All cleaned up and she looks pretty smart. A careful coat of clear nail varnish (Lacquer) on the LE a file to the TE and another polish and she'l be good to go. 395mm long 49mm wide 4mm thick she weighs 68g