davidterrell80's blog View Details
Archive for April, 2013
Posted by davidterrell80 | Apr 27, 2013 @ 07:03 AM | 5,630 Views
I bought this inexpensive ducted fan aircraft some time ago. When I assembled it, there were some issues. The vertical stabilizer and one wing tip were warped. From the way the unassembled aircraft lay in the box, it appears that the box was probably exposed to heat at one point and the parts of the aircraft nearest the edge of the box were warped. There was also a problem with the ducted fan unit, in that the fan touched the duct at one point. When I tested the motor, there was a hit of the screeching sound, and a whiff of hot plastic smell. It was not until I opened the engine compartment, and cut away the cemented wing that I discovered the reason. I am very glad that I used white gorilla glue to attach the wing, as it was easy to cut the wing away and, later, to reattach it.

The aircraft also seemed to be designed for older and heavier batteries. It was very difficult to achieve the desired center gravity, but I have to admit, that I was not using the provided landing gear. I was planning to use the aircraft as a belly lander, and had used transparent duct tape to protect the bottom against skidding damage. In my spare parts box, I had a lump of the modeling clay that GWS provides with many of its model kits. It took about three quarters of that stick of clay to balance the model.

The aircraft was also three channel, with no working rudder. This was the first time I had flown an aircraft with this control set up. To be honest, I did not like it very much. Using role to correct direction at low altitudes turned out to be problematic for me.

Taken together, I did not fly the aircraft very much.

I decided to change that, if I could. If not, I will be harvesting the electronics and motor for use in a scratch built aircraft that is lighter in weight. So, yesterday, I added a working rudder to the aircraft. I decided to go VFR-direct with the installation.

I hope I get a chance to fly it today and will return and report when I do.
Posted by davidterrell80 | Apr 20, 2013 @ 10:20 AM | 5,188 Views
I've been restoring a 1980s Goldberg Eagle I that was crashed long ago and never repaired. It belonged to the recently-deceased father of a co-worker, who asked if I wanted it.

It had been cartwheeled... repaired... crashed... and put on a shelf.

The main structures are done and I'm starting to stuff the airframe with the systems.