dmrcflyr2's blog View Details
Archive for July, 2015
Posted by dmrcflyr2 | Jul 29, 2015 @ 06:52 AM | 3,927 Views
I have flown several times now with my older JR XP6102 system and it has worked flawlessly. The really nice thing is that I never have to contend with other flyers for a channel as 98% of the folks are on 2.4GHz.

I dusted off my even older JR XF622 system last night, charged the old NiCD pack and brought it in to work to check out the output signal. I figured the battery pack in there would be good enough to test the signal but if I do use it I will most certainly be replacing it with a 2000mAh NiMH pack.

I used the HP 8562E Spectrum Analyzer and saw the following signal. This is a ch 19 which is 72.170MHz. It looks pretty good. Good enough to take out to the field and do a really thorough range test anyway.
Posted by dmrcflyr2 | Jul 25, 2015 @ 06:50 PM | 3,957 Views
I pulled this out for a test run today. It needs a home and I have an GP Ultra Sport 40 kit waiting to be built for this engine.

Tower Pro 46: a real screamer (0 min 44 sec)

Posted by dmrcflyr2 | Jul 14, 2015 @ 05:36 PM | 3,789 Views
She is alive and running beautifully!

Saito FA-90T First run after rebuild (1 min 30 sec)

FA-90T Second run of the day (1 min 53 sec)
...Continue Reading
Posted by dmrcflyr2 | Jul 14, 2015 @ 06:29 AM | 4,252 Views
I happened upon a nice Saito FA-90T from a fellow member and local flier. It looked pretty rough and had no compression at all. He and I both figured it just needed a little TLC, so I figured I was the one to give it.

Once I got it home I cleaned the exterior up first using some spray cleaner and an old toothbrush. It turned out pretty nice, but the real question was how was it on the inside? It turns out that it wasn't too bad really. I disassembled it and carefully cleaned and oiled all of the parts. The lack of compression was due to stuck valves; an easy fix.

It turns out that it could use a new set of bearings so I ordered some and it patiently waited until they came in. While waiting on the bearings I installed the carburetor onto my other 90T just to verify that it operates properly; and it does. Once the bearings and new gaskets were installed reassembly was a breeze. The older Saito single throw crankshaft engines are quite easy to disassemble/reassemble and setting the timing is just as easy.

Now the the compression is back, it is looking nice again, and it awaits its first run in probably 10-15 years. I will be taking video of it tonight as I run it for the first time in years. Once that is done, it heads to the classifieds to find a new proud owner.
Posted by dmrcflyr2 | Jul 06, 2015 @ 05:43 PM | 4,225 Views
I have met a terrific fellow modeler on this site and he was kind enough to send me a Saito FA-30S engine to get my Sportsman Aviation Waco 30 back in the air. Rob is a great guy and a pleasure to call a friend even though we have never met face to face. Thank you Rob!

This little engine arrived and I was prepared to replace the bearings in it, but upon initial inspection, they felt fine. I may still install them at some point but I just opened her up and did a quick inspection. Once satisfied that the bearings were not in imminent danger of letting loose I put the engine on the stand to see how it runs. It runs GREAT!

Saito FA-30S (0 min 8 sec)

Saito FA-30S (0 min 30 sec)
...Continue Reading
Posted by dmrcflyr2 | Jul 03, 2015 @ 10:59 AM | 4,330 Views
Yesterday the replacement Easy Stick arrived. I did investigate only buying replacement parts as Value Hobby does offer the wing, fuselage, and tail feathers as separate spares. After looking at the cost of what I would need, fuselage ($50) and tail feathers($25) plus shipping I figured I might as well buy the entire airplane again.

Once again it was packed in 2 blank double boxes and it arrived undamaged. Seeing as I have assembled one before, I did not even bother to open the instruction manual, I knew exactly what I needed to do. The first step was to apply plenty of wood glue to the entire joint areas inside. I smeared this around each joint with my finger and did not worry about applying too much. These joints can use all the extra glue they can take.

The next step for me again was to punch out the blind nuts in the original firewall to make way for the new firewall I epoxied onto the original. Once drilled for the engine mount, throttle, and fuel lines I moved onto the aft fuselage section.

This time I am putting both elevator and rudder servos in this section of the fuselage. I don't think the extra weight is going to be an issue and if it is I have plenty of room in the forward end to move things around.

Once the servos with extensions are in place, it is time to glue in the 4 wood joiners. These align the front and rear halves and provide more area for gluing. I installed the four joiners in the front section and used CA to hold them in place for the...Continue Reading