dmrcflyr2's blog View Details
Archive for June, 2015
Posted by dmrcflyr2 | Jun 30, 2015 @ 07:35 AM | 4,428 Views
Well in light of my recent loss of the Easy Stik, I have considered going back and using my lightly used JR XP6102 radio system. It is a 72 MHz system that I bought probably back in 2001-02. I have 2 receivers for it and plenty of servos; the transmitter has a new 2000 Mah battery pack.

After the failure analysis to include queries on this forum, it seems that the root cause for my crash was ..... me! It appears that I did not heed the instructions for proper RX/antenna placement and that the signal was shadowed for a time long enough to send the RX into fail safe mode.

A very valuable lesson was learned for sure. I know in the past with the older systems 'shadowing' was never an issue. There was a 39 inch long antenna sticking out of the airplane grabbing all of the signal. The receiver could be right next to the servos and it did not matter.

So I pulled my trusty JR system out last night, cycled the transmitter battery and brought it into work to check out the signal. Using an HP 8562E spectrum analyzer I checked the signal. The transmitter is channel 25 which is 72.290 MHz. The transmitter checks out perfectly. The signal is clean and strong. I think once the new Easy Stik arrives I might just put this system in it and go 'old school' along with the 30+ year old engine in the nose.
Posted by dmrcflyr2 | Jun 26, 2015 @ 07:22 PM | 3,865 Views
Yes, thanks to lots of rain and very soft sandy soil in FL, the 80T easily survived a nose dive into the ground. The only casualty were the headers. One smashed closed the other tweaked. I soaked it with alcohol and sprayed it off with the air compressor and that's it. I turns over freely and feels perfect. Coming from someone too willing to open up an engine.... Great engineering, Saito.
Posted by dmrcflyr2 | Jun 25, 2015 @ 06:49 PM | 4,275 Views
It was a bittersweet trip to the flying field today. It was going to be the first aerial videos using my new Mobius camera and I was excited. The first, and only flight, started out well. I started recording and took to the air. I made several circuits around the field and then the unthinkable happened.

I lost radio contact while flying straight and level. The Stik went from a straight and level flight into a dive straight into the ground. I was helpless as I watched my airplane plummet into the ground. 1 second after impact the sound wave hit me. it was a sickening CRACK!!

As I began the long walk to the impact site I contemplated what had just happened. I took the radio with me to see if all controls still functioned. When I got there the radio was unresponsive. The impact must have turned the switch off as it was in the off position. When I turned it on all control surfaces worked perfectly. I gathered up the Mobius and all I could carry in one load and walked back. The second trip I gathered all of the pieces I felt like bringing back.

There is good news and bad news in this story. The good news is that the Mobius and video survived the impact as you will see below. The bad news is that the Easy Stik is a total loss. The condition of the Saito FA-80T is unknown at this time, but I will be evaluating that very soon.

Amazingly the wing seems relatively unscathed. I will not be using it on the next Stik. Oh yes, I plan on replacing this airplane. It is a great platform for my twin cylinder engines.

Oh well, such is life. Now to check out my engine.

Last flight of the Easy Stik 60 (2 min 56 sec)

Posted by dmrcflyr2 | Jun 13, 2015 @ 04:39 PM | 4,187 Views
I flew a few airplanes today and had a great time! My wonderful 10 year old grandson took the videos and he gets a bit better each outing. I flew my Value Hobby Easy Stik 60 with the Saito FA-90T and my SIG Astro Hog with the Enya 60-4C shown in my blog entry below this one.

This particular Enya 60 seems a bit more powerful than the other one I had on it before. They both have very good compression so I am unsure why there would be a difference, but there is.

The Saito 90T is getting broken in and ran flawlessly today. I did not touch the needle valve settings at all after the last run in my yard a few days ago. I had reset them and tached the engine for a bit of unloading in the air. This engine is very sensitive to the needle valve settings; one click of either carb in either direction can make a big difference on overall high speed RPM.

Easy Stik takeoff 1 (0 min 30 sec)

Easy Stik touch n go (0 min 27 sec)
...Continue Reading
Posted by dmrcflyr2 | Jun 06, 2015 @ 09:29 AM | 4,196 Views
It runs like a champ! After the disassembly, clean and re-assembly. Apparently I have the timing correct.
It started on the second flip of the prop. I am running an APC 13x6 with Omega 10% and a brand new Enya #3 plug.

Enya 60-4C: First start, first run (1 min 9 sec)

Enya 60-4C: First run (cont.) (1 min 3 sec)
...Continue Reading
Posted by dmrcflyr2 | Jun 05, 2015 @ 07:35 PM | 4,091 Views
So I am a sucker for a good deal, especially when it is a 4 stroke engine. This is the second Enya 60-4C I have purchased for under $85. This is is just as good as the $50 one. It is a used but low time engine which I will be running on the stand tomorrow.

As is customary for me and used engines, I first completely disassemble them to assess their true condition. Upon opening the nicely packaged box I find an engine that has some external wear on the finish, clearly it isn't brand new, but the aluminum is a bit tarnished. Still it is in very good shape. There are no surprises with the disassembly. No stripped screw heads, no over torqued fasteners. It is a bit gummed up but nothing a good cleaning won't remedy.

As each part was removed I initially soaked them in alcohol to begin to loosen the crud. As the exterior did not look as nice as I wanted, I decided to go to something a bit stronger. I soaked all parts in CLR. This is not recommended for Aluminum, according to the manufacturer, but I have used it before with very good results. The aluminum just needs to be VERY throughly cleaned immediately after removal from the CLR. I soak them in alcohol, used compressed air to dry and then coat lightly with 3-in-1 oil. The steel parts is where the CLR really works. Any surface rust is removed and things look almost new again.

The bearings were not in bad shape but the congealed oil residue had them looking a bit rough. The CLR makes quick work of that...Continue Reading