herk1's blog View Details
Archive for October, 2009
Posted by herk1 | Oct 27, 2009 @ 05:28 PM | 10,342 Views
A popular kit, but it's an old design originally intended for brushed power. Put a couple of brushless motors in it and it needs some strengthening modifications.

I started with the slope glider kit, which comes with no fans. For power, I'm using two GWS "green" brushless inrunners, and two brushless ESCs (Thunderbird 18). I had to buy the GWS shrouds that have a receptacle for 20mm inrunner motors, and the GWS 55mm rotors with D-cut. I already had the D-cut hubs for 2mm motor shafts from my GWS F-15 kit (the same hubs go with the 55mm and 64mm fans). For a battery, I'm using a single 3S LiPo of about 2200 size. When I was finished building, I was happy to find that the plane balanced with no added balance weight, with the battery located exactly where I wanted it: under the aft part of the canopy, just behind the nosewheel wire. Final AUW after painting is 26.6 ounces.

Here are the modifications that I made to the kit:

1. Made large topside battery hatch, and plugged up the stock battery hole on the fuse underside with a scrap foam piece. To create the hatch, I cut the fuse along the panel lines around the canopy, then dremeled out the insides of the fuse down to the floor to make room for a 3S 2200 LiPo. To hold the top hatch on, I installed two popsicle-stick retaining tabs on the front of it, and two rare-earth magnets in back. I also installed a lite-ply floor for the battery, with velcro on the floor to prevent sliding, and two velcro...Continue Reading