spinnaker225's blog View Details
Posted by spinnaker225 | Dec 12, 2019 @ 11:34 AM | 2,373 Views
The line drawings have been digitized and reviewed. I entered the drawings into Auto-Cad where I calculated the CLP (center of lateral Plane) in order to
design a balanced set of sails using the relationship between the CE (center of effort)of the sails. According to some design theories, there the CE should be forward of the CLP by approx. 15% of the DWL (designed water line. It will be interesting to see if I notice any positive effects. I have 3 other J's to compare performance to but seeing that they are all shorter, it will be an educational exercise at best, at least for now.
When Rick Shousha finishes the bulkheads, I'll start my build blog.Just what I need.....a 4th J. Anyone want a good deal on a Rainbow or Endeavour?
Rick has made good progress on the bulkheads. Close to being sent to the laser cutter.
I'm continuing to call this project FP 1935 "A" because drawings of Topaz were/are unavailable. Although they are supposed to follow the original line drawings closely, I don't know what tweeks or allowances they made so, since I am going by the a copy of the original FP drawings I'll stick with that.
Posted by spinnaker225 | Feb 14, 2018 @ 02:54 PM | 5,585 Views
I've decided that 2 wasn't enough so I chose Enterprise. I've been intrigued by Enterprise for the past couple of years since building Rainbow. I like her lines and with a shorter water line then Rainbow and a greater allowable sail area, it will be interesting how well she performs as a scale model. I just received the laser cut frames from Rick Shusha (The Modelers Workshop). Feel free to ask questions as the build progresses.
After studying the J's from "The Book", I saw that several of them (8) sported keel center boards. I figured there must have been a reason the designers incorporated it in their designs and since none of them are around to pick their brains, I decided that this might be an interesting exercise. Worst case scenario, it flops and I extract the whole thing and repair it. It's only wood and fiberglass. I've repaired worse on big boats so....... I built a few mock-ups to study the dynamics of the whole idea. When I built a scale model and saw that the concept was doable, I decided to bite the bullet and try. Now that most of the questions have been answered, mechanics, materials, waterproofing etc. The base material is brass and I have a thin layer of lead to help with the weight.
The trunk is constructed from leftover 1/8" plywood from the laser cut frames that has been glassed with a composite carbon fiber/kevlar cloth so the inside of the trunk is durable and waterproof.I proceeded and am now back on track planking for Stowe's J...Continue Reading
Posted by spinnaker225 | Mar 18, 2016 @ 09:51 AM | 5,208 Views
The following pictures show some of the progress of my Endeavour building. The beams are Basswood that I milled in my shop. They were fastened to the fiberglass hull by both West system resin and mechanical connections. Before I finished installing the beams, I made and laid out the radio/servo boards and ran the sheets to be sure there were no conflicts. I also made sure that they were completely serviceable and removable. Now onto deck substrate and hatch details and then the Mahogany strip deck.
The deck planking is finally installed, toe rail and mast step in place. Hatches have been fitted. You will notice that the main hatch has a raised profile. The main hatch fits over a piece of trim for water prooofing. The first 2 coats of spar urethane nhave been applied. Now that the deck is sealed, she will be turned over and the final fitting of her rudder shoe and fairing of the trailing edge of the keel will be done. After that, the hull willd be sanded and primed. Then she will be tank tested to check her water line. Once this is established, she will be painted and then clear coated. Then the deck will be sanded and finished with 3 more coats of spar urethane. Electronics will be installed, adjusted and tested on the pond.
Endeavour #62 was finished in early June. Have not raced her yet but she sails well as expected. Will sail her against Rainbow#67 and her sister Endeavour #206 several times through out the rest of the summer to get her fine tuning tweeked....Continue Reading
Posted by spinnaker225 | Mar 15, 2016 @ 02:26 PM | 6,149 Views
Here are some photos of the project from start to the present. Enjoy.
I've added some photos of changes I chose to do to the original laser cut bulkheads. These changes were done to enable a better lead ballast positioning. I cut the bottoms of the center bulkheads, sanded there area and glassed the cavity for the lead. This was done for added strength and as a guard against abrassion from lifting the lead in and out of the boat. I added some #9 lead shot at the deepest point to fill in along the keel to get a little extra weight as low as possible. I'll make a plaster cast of the cavity to ensure a good fit for the lead. A tank test will let me know exact placement.This shows one advantage to building a boat from a fiber glass hull....no bulkheads and less retro fitting.
I chose to cut off the lower 2" of the keel to address a better weight/location and it's infuence on the righting moment. It may seem drastic to some but I am going for performance. We'll see if my thoughts and practices work.
The finishing touches. Deck hardware, test tank and setting the water line, Painting and rigging. The mast was constructed of Sitka Spruce. I cut the stock in half, routed out a channel for a carbon fiber tube to receive the luff slugs. She then had her maiden voyage at the Green Mountain J Day Regatta. Created a bit of a punch list to address before the Nationals. Even though, she sailed well and it was gratifying to finally get her in the water....Continue Reading