Pierre_de’ Loop's blog View Details
Archive for January, 2016
Posted by Pierre_de’ Loop | Jan 30, 2016 @ 10:56 PM | 6,747 Views
I've deviated from the plans here and there on this build so it isn't clear why I followed the supplement that directed me to cover the model and the chines before joining the two. "Cut a slit into the hull and glue the rails" isn't what I'll do if given the chance to complete this task again. It would have be far easier to cover around the chines than making an accurate slit along the hull. All that said, it's behind me.

Next up...the tail feathers.
Posted by Pierre_de’ Loop | Jan 27, 2016 @ 10:37 PM | 4,375 Views
Doped, covered, and glued to the fuselage.

The triangles are from Aero Crafters in NY. I understand they're gone and I'm sorry to hear that. Does anyone know what became of them?
Posted by Pierre_de’ Loop | Jan 25, 2016 @ 11:40 PM | 4,829 Views
Covered to fuselage today...
Posted by Pierre_de’ Loop | Jan 24, 2016 @ 10:34 PM | 4,507 Views
I doped the pushrods this afternoon and began covering the tail. This is my first experience covering with top flite econo cote. It's heavy and it shrinks too aggressively for my taste, but it's waterproof.
Posted by Pierre_de’ Loop | Jan 23, 2016 @ 09:48 PM | 4,395 Views
I'm using the old balsa stick pushrod trick to reduce weight. I'm also routing the pushrods out the top of the fuselage rather than on the sides, as the plan calls for. That seemed like an invitation for water entering the fuselage unnecessarily.
Posted by Pierre_de’ Loop | Jan 23, 2016 @ 12:33 PM | 4,593 Views
The silver lining to the snow storm is that it has provided me with some time to resume building. This morning I worked on the pylon.
Posted by Pierre_de’ Loop | Jan 12, 2016 @ 08:12 AM | 4,256 Views
The plan supplement calls for rather short chines. I'm taking a cue from the folks who have done this before me and extending the chines from the step to the bow. I'm also tinkering with the idea of making them wider - although I have to weigh (ha!) the possible advantages of wider chines against the additional drag they'll produce in the water.
Posted by Pierre_de’ Loop | Jan 09, 2016 @ 10:54 PM | 4,091 Views
My Christmas present this year was a Tamiya Grasshopper!

I skipped the balsa block wingtips called for on the AquaStar plan and decided to use sheet balsa. Now on to chines...
Posted by Pierre_de’ Loop | Jan 05, 2016 @ 10:07 AM | 4,090 Views
After selling my Tamiya Frog and assorted Grasshopper parts on eBay, I decided to build a rally car around Tamiya’s M04L Beetle. The paint scheme fell somewhere between my unfulfilled dream of owning a Sand Scorcher painted in the red and yellow alternate color scheme featured in the MRC print ads of the early 1980s, and the winners of the 1954 and 1962 East Africa Safari Rallies. I cut down a pair of Tamiya Rally Block tires, waterproofed the ESC and receiver, replaced the suspension with oil filled shocks and tuned springs, and made a few other changes. It was great fun to build and a blast to drive on and off road. I quickly followed up with a similarly treated M03 Mini.

That was in 2007, but both cars remain in good shape. Recently, my wife and kids took both cars to the Capital Crescent Trail, not far from our home. Here they are, cleaned up and ready to go again after a good romp through the woods.