mudman1959's blog View Details
Archive for December, 2009
Posted by mudman1959 | Dec 16, 2009 @ 08:34 PM | 11,961 Views
This is SU-37 from the Tomhe plans, it is a lot lighter than my first one and with the Grayson Hobbies Super Mega Jet motor turning a 7x6 APC prop the vertical performance is unlimited. It has a massive elevator that vectors the thrust and I have mixed my ailerons to the elevator for more control. The ailerons are mechanically cross linked to the canards so control is fantastic. This plane will do all of the tricks! Next addition to it will be adding the rudders for more control during turning. Video is before I put the GH SMJ motor on it. Paint will be the next thing... a silver base coat then who knows... Mudman1959

Update 03-17-10... Short Video with the GH SMJ V2 motor... Straight up takeoff!!!

Update 08/27/10
Finally got around to adding the rudders to this plane. Mixed them with the aileron for more of a controlled turn. Flew the plane the other day and I was able to get a good flat spin and almost lost it... It's a good thing that the motor has enough snot to pull it out of almost any position.
Mudman1959

SU-37 #2.wmv (8 min 9 sec)



SU-37 Straight up....MOV (0 min 37 sec)
...Continue Reading
Posted by mudman1959 | Dec 02, 2009 @ 05:45 PM | 11,620 Views
Saw the plans and I have a motor that needs a new home... How about a Grayson Hobbies Mega Jet V2. Should move this one real good. The wing has 2 carbon fiber rods inside it, one up against the spar and the other just in front of the elevons. The wing has a symmetrical airfoil and is about a inch thick in the middle tapering down to the tip with carbon fiber rod leading edges along the front. This wing should be able to handle 80 mph plus. Still have to build the fuselage... going to do a full fuselage instead of a profile one so that I can hide the electronics and make it look more like a Fun Jet. Building it out of Fan Fold since I ran out of Dollar Tree foam board. Let me know what you think...

Update... 12-13-09
Started on the fuselage and made a few changes to the nose. I was not real happy with the first attempt and the way it was coming out so I did some redesign and it looks a lot better. I made a tray for the battery to support it and hold it more securely. Also added a air scoop for cooling made from a plastic spoon, I saw this on someone else's plane and it works good.

Update... 12-15-09 Fun Jet look-a-like... Worked on the fuselage a little more today. I now have two removable hatches to access the battery and the receiver. I also have all of the electrics working correctly and in the right directions... thats always a good thing! Next will be the test flight if it would ever stop snowing! I might add some color to it so I can tell the top from the bottom....Continue Reading