mfwilliams's blog View Details
Archive for June, 2018
Posted by mfwilliams | Jun 02, 2018 @ 10:18 PM | 35,597 Views
Our last full flying day in the Northwest. Sad, but all good things must come to an end.
Lumber was the flavor of the day. We ran around Hood River most of the morning, then headed out to the slope just after noon. It was blowing when we got up top. At least 25mph, straight on to the slope. Very gusty and turbulent. If you didn’t get your plane out front quick, it was going to get slammed into the ground. We had a couple of full size sailplanes working the ridge. A Schweizer 1-26 and a Stemme S-10. They made passes over us several times. I’m sure they were working the ridge, but it looked like they were checking us out a few times. We flew our brains out, had very little plane damage. Amazing with the conditions. Only had some wing tip scuffs and Amadeo had a wing rod pulled out in a mid-air with Tom.
We stopped, early for us, at 5:00PM and headed down to Hood River for “First Friday”. Hood was packed with visitors and closed streets. So we went to dinner near Safeway (Thai food) and hit the car wash across the street. We topped off the perfect day with Mike’s Ice Cream.
Good bye NW! Next year the 6-pack!
Mike and the Pompano Hill flyers....Continue Reading
Posted by mfwilliams | Jun 01, 2018 @ 11:16 AM | 35,163 Views
Thursday was an official Eagle Butte-Kiona-SDR day. So we got up early (for us) and packed all the planes, hit Bettie’s and then straight to Richland. Doc had surmised that Thursday would be the best day this week and he was right on. Wind was light when we arrived but quickly built up to 15-20mph.
Tom finally got a chance to fly his big molded Swift and Ben his HK Russell hotliner (converted to sloper). The highlights of the day was getting 5 Gulps/Moths into formation flying while pulling big pumps. And almost forgot, we had DJ and Jose pulling “dueling banjos” with DJ’s Energic and Jose’s Schwing. One after another they would pull screaming passes trying to get the loudest “moldie whistle.” That went on for 10 minutes straight.
We ended the perfect day with rain starting at 5PM. Tired and windburned it was time to head back to Hood before dark and hit a good restaurant. Double Mountain was a hit the other night, so performed a repeat performance. We also tried to hit Mike’s Ice Cream, but no luck, they close at 8PM on weekdays. Called it an early night and limped back to our rooms.
Friday, our final day, looks like Lumber.
Mike and the Pompano Hill...Continue Reading