protocol's blog View Details
Posted by protocol | Oct 10, 2016 @ 02:32 PM | 3,492 Views
It's been a while since I posted in my blog, because I've been busy working on an app for Android devices (iOS version to come later).

The app is called COLORTRAX, It's in very early development right now, but is very usable:

colortrax quickdemo1 (1 min 35 sec)

Race anything, anywhere, anytime!
World's first color-tracking lap timing software, for athletes, coaches, and RC vehicles.

Basically, you tell the app which color to track on an rc vehicle (ground or air) or even a person/athlete, and it will keep track of each time it passes in front of the camera. So a typical use would be to set it up at the start/finish line, register the racers (max 4 in beta version), and race!

free OPEN BETA TEST on google play store:

lots of planned features and additions, stay tuned...
Posted by protocol | Jun 20, 2016 @ 05:43 PM | 4,331 Views
While waiting for my KK188 replacement frame to show up, I decided to build my RCX H250 (zmr 250 clone):

- 4x KingKong 2204 - 2400kv
- 4x 12a ESC (emax I think)
- Naze32 rev 6
- Aomway 200mw VTX
- Aomway blue cloverleaf antenna
- HS1177 super HAD II CCD cam (surveilzone)
- OrangeRX R615x RX, cppm (case removed, shrinkwrapped in orange)
- custom design 10mm PLA spacer

I actually already flew this frame without the spacer in a traditional build, for about 6 flights (all very good) before I had a video blackout, and cut the throttle while 20m up. Ended up breaking an arm (bad luck, 2 broken quad arms in 3 weeks). I have a fiberglass ZMR arm that I'm using as a replacement.

A few of the local libraries have 3D printers for public use, so I grabbed a generic spacer file I found on thingiverse, and modified it for my purposes (added air-holes, back hole for battery cable). The library charges 5 cents a minute, and at low quality, 80% infill, it takes just over an hour, or about $5CDN with tax.

to be continued...
Posted by protocol | Jun 20, 2016 @ 03:27 PM | 4,077 Views
Flying the KK188 has been fun, but it came to an end at about flight #10.

Due to the tight space I was working with, I made a bad decision, and used a small OrangeRX R410 receiver I had to complete the build. I never had trouble with that RX in the past, but that was on small, foam planes within about 100m.

This is what happens (see picture) when you fly 250+ meters (measured on google maps) + very bad antenna placement + battery blocks TX signal. I still haven't done the autopsy, but I think the frame is the only thing broken (rear left arm). Lost the flight video in the crash as well

I was up about 10m off the ground, was doing a clockwise turn to come back towards me, and because the single antenna on the R410 was on one side of the quad with the battery between me and it, the RX lost signal, went into failsafe, which I had set to cut throttle, and the quad came crashing down.

Pretty much my own fault (short range RX + bad placement). Overall, I still like the quad, and have another KK188 frame already in the mail, but if that one breaks as well, I'll move onto another sub-200 frame, maybe the ZMR180, or Spadger 180, both carbon fiber.
Posted by protocol | Jun 20, 2016 @ 03:12 PM | 4,122 Views
The maiden flight went better than expected

KingKong 188 + 1806 + 3S + CC3D quad maiden flight (5 min 2 sec)

Moving my old 1806's from my fiberglass ZMR 250 (AUW: 500g+) to the KingKong 188 (AUW: 350g) was a great move! The KK188 feels at least 30% quicker and snappier than the ZMR with those motors, and as mentioned previously, my flight bag is much lighter as well, another bonus.

The CC3D and PIDs are set to default settings (I've not very good at tuning PIDs), but still performed very well...

... until I went too far away for my crap orangeRX R410 parkflyer receiver...
Posted by protocol | Jun 20, 2016 @ 10:24 AM | 4,181 Views
I decided that I wanted to try out a smaller, sub-250 class quad, and the KingKong 188 frame looked interesting, and is very cheap (approx $8 USD). I recently upgraded my ZMR 250 to 2204 motors, so the idea is to transfer its old 1806 motors to a smaller, lighter frame and see how it does.

- 4 x DYS 1806 2400kv
- 4 x KingKong 12a ESC
- 4 x KingKong 5x4 props
- mini CC3D
- Aomway 200mw 5.8ghz VTX
- Aomway blue cloverleaf antenna
- OrangeRX R410 RX ( !!! bad decision !!!)
- Zippy 3s1000 & Nano-tech 3s1300

It was a very tight build, especially soldering to the pdb. I ended up popping the pins out of the esc cable, and pop them back on once the esc cable was threaded through the arms, to try to keep the build clean.

Overall, it took about 4 hours to assemble, taking breaks, learning CC3D, etc. I like the final build, and really like the size!

I have to walk or take public transit to go fly, so the lighter my backpack the better, and with this build, I can use my older Zippy 3S1000 that I have from 2 years ago, for a 350g AUW. I can even use my smaller, more comfortable backpack, which is much better than my bigger one I use for ZMR 250 flight days. So now with the KK188 + 3s1000 & 3s1300 batteries + goggles, I'm carrying about half the weight I used to carry when flying with the ZMR 250.

maiden flight video coming soon...