Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Glen Byrns's blog View Details
Posted by Glen Byrns | Yesterday @ 05:48 PM | 234 Views
I got in another flight of the DC-3 today and included the usual video where the plane takes off, vanishes, camera moves around, plane jumps into view as it lands. It flies very smoothly now. I've kept the CG at 40mm and end up spending most of the flight at half throttle.
The C-47 version is getting paint now and will soon be done. It's only going to get Park 180 motors, but they might be perfect.
Posted by Glen Byrns | Mar 16, 2019 @ 05:48 PM | 906 Views
I got in another flight of the DC3 this morning, and it was perfect. This flight gave me a chance to dial in the trim and try out the rudder/aileron mix. It turns very realistically with a bit of rudder mixed in. It throttles back nicely and with the 1/8" washout, the landing approach was gentle with no stall. I immediately declared total victory and headed home. Now I'm looking forward to finishing the C47 version. I weighed the two fuses side by side and the new one is currently 9g lighter. No paint yet though.
Posted by Glen Byrns | Mar 09, 2019 @ 10:33 PM | 1,460 Views
Moving along on the second copy of the DC3. I'm just covering the fuse. The lighter tail was much easier to do than the ridiculous laminated bits the kit calls for.

I lost a motor on the first one and swapped over to a pair of EFLM 7010 1800kv motors. They forced me to move the battery back a bit, but IT FLEW GREAT!! ROG, two clicks of up trim and then several passes of the field, a slow fly-by and a decent landing. It flies like its on rails. I filmed it with a chest mounted GoPro, but all you can see is the takeoff and an occasional distant silver dot. Wrong camera for the job.
Posted by Glen Byrns | Feb 26, 2019 @ 07:32 PM | 1,157 Views
I just started a C-47 version followings the Guillows plans, but using all 1/16" and building in a different style. I cut one piece bulkheads and aligned them on a 1/4" CF shaft. This let me build a dead-true fuse with 1/16" stringers. The bulkheads were precut across the grain top and bottom to allow easy removal of the shaft after slicing the rest of the bulkhead centers. The fuse can be twisted slightly by hand, but the silkspan skin will seal the torsional deal.
Posted by Glen Byrns | Feb 25, 2019 @ 12:18 AM | 1,777 Views
I've been enjoying small electrics for some time now and was inspired to try a twin. The available build blogs for the Guillows DC3 (kit804) were not that encouraging, but I gave it a shot.

I used all the kit wood, kit provided silkspan, fixed wheels, no flaps or retracts. Dual ailerons with the 2.2g linear servos ( lots of differential), 5g servos for rudder and elevator. An orange 8ch receiver, 2-6A ESC/BECs, Kinexsis 2200kv motors with counter-rotating 4.75-3 props and a 450mAh 2S lipo.

Massive amounts of carving and sanding, especially the tail, resulted in NO nose ballast, CG at 40mm and an AUW of 9.1 oz.

Today was the first flight and WOW! It took off smoothly, minor elevator trim and flew a smooth realistic looking circuit of the field at about half throttle. It needed plenty of throttle to mitigate the final approach sink rate. It's no glider, but it's no pig either. I'm looking forward to the next flights.