Pierre_de’ Loop's blog View Details
Archive for October, 2014
Posted by Pierre_de’ Loop | Oct 31, 2014 @ 08:26 AM | 5,739 Views
This is a thirty year old Estes Cyclone model rocket. The rocket was produced in 1983 but it didn't stay on the market very long. I built many model rockets in middle school, but this is the only one that didn't go missing. When I retrieved it from my parent’s garage all four fins had been broken off and hastily repaired many times. The plastic nose cone even had a crack in it – how did that happen? I believe it’s ripe for an overhaul.

The body tube in the picture looks pretty rough where the fins were removed, but it’s got a couple of coats of sanding sealer on it and its surprisingly smooth. I used plastic putty to repair the crack in the nose cone. I'll put a dab of sanding sealer on that spot too before I paint it as I recall the putty being porous even when it looks smooth. Pictured are the original fins, cut into a slightly different shape and sanded. I never liked the fins on the Cyclone so this was my chance to improve them. The motor mount is a split between old and new material. The metal hook and upper centering ring are from the original, but the engine mount tube and the lower centering ring are new, along with the centering tube between the two rings. This is something the original rocket didn't have, but I had the part on hand and felt it wouldn't hurt to use it. I've tied a Kevlar thread to the motor mount. Once more, this isn’t stock, but rather it will be set up like the Quest rocket kits; the Kevlar will be tied to an elastic chord that will have the parachute and nose cone on it.
Posted by Pierre_de’ Loop | Oct 16, 2014 @ 08:05 PM | 5,572 Views
I'll have to wait for a sunny day before I tackle the finishing work.
Posted by Pierre_de’ Loop | Oct 13, 2014 @ 09:39 PM | 5,783 Views
The tail feathers are on and the bell crank assembly is mounted and connected.
Posted by Pierre_de’ Loop | Oct 11, 2014 @ 04:13 PM | 5,586 Views
I used a Dremel tool to cut a grove in the engine mount like the old plastic mounts. The engine sits flush on the firewall with the landing gear sandwiched behind it.
Posted by Pierre_de’ Loop | Oct 10, 2014 @ 07:37 AM | 5,494 Views
Blind nuts are behind the firewall and the motor mount is ready for side sheeting. I'm pleasantly surprised by the strength and fit of the cabane struts.
Posted by Pierre_de’ Loop | Oct 05, 2014 @ 09:01 PM | 6,498 Views
Recalling how much I enjoyed Sterling Models' Beginner Kit series, I've decided to build a profile Pup along the same lines (ha, ha, ha). I haven't flown control line in more than 20 years, but I recall it being great fun.

Also pictured is a great little glider inspired by Bill Hannan's article, "Soda Jets - The Last Straw."