MadCap231ex's blog View Details
Posted by MadCap231ex | Oct 14, 2010 @ 02:26 AM | 5,849 Views
So I managed to get the landing gear area reinforced with CF-kev cloth. Next I epoxied in the gear-pivot forward mount and then cut the gear doors. Kinda scary cutting a hole into a really nice fuse! I also added a mount for the tow release servo left of the gear.

Hidden behind the upper shock mount is a flat AC ply plate I designed to mount the rudder servo to in an upside down fashion. The rudder will be a pull-pull using kev-cord sold by ACP composites in Cali. Website:

While I waited for epoxy to cure, I reinforced the tail boom and vertical fin with CF cloth. I did not like the way Reichard intended the elevator servo to be mounted, so I cut an access panel on the left side of the vertical stab and mounted a servo plate to allow connection and servicing.

That is about it for now.

More to come!
Posted by MadCap231ex | Jun 08, 2010 @ 12:31 AM | 4,385 Views
So today I made a tow release to fit my DG 300. Cut it from a .50" x .75" bar stock 6061-T6 aluminum. I think it turned out o.k. for a first go at using my horizontal mill (I am not a machinist...).

I built it with a .25" mouth for the tow rope, a brass tube to slide the 1/8" stainless pin in, and added grooves to the sides and bottom for extra bonding area for the epoxy when glued in place in the fuse. I purposefully drilled the pin in at an angle to accommodate the slope of the fuse. I am hoping this makes the action of the pin more in-line with the servo push rod.

All it needs now is to be cleaned and polished, and glued in place of course!

Next I will make a coupler to step from the 1/8" pin to a 4-40 rod to allow for servo connection.

8/5/2011 Update:
I have maidened the DG and the tow release works great. I ended up making this a push-pull cable operation to mount the servo back near the landing gear. I will add a photo soon.