burkefj's blog View Details
Archive for June, 2016
Posted by burkefj | Jun 13, 2016 @ 11:41 AM | 9,949 Views
I've been flying my full stack Titan II/DynaSoar for a while, had two flights this weekend.
It was extremely windy, 10mph constant with gusts to 17 or so.

Here is a combined video showing flight 8 first which was nominal and flight 7 afterward.

Flight 8 I pitched the model upwind and then held full up on the glider control to keep the nose up and slow the stack down till ejection of the glider.

Flight 7 is the second flight shown which I did not steer on the way up thinking it would weathervane into the wind, however it went slightly downwind, you can see how it did not eject at apogee and when I determined it was likely in a death dive, I tried to steer it level to minimize damage, it hung there for a second or two then finally ejected and nothing was damaged.


Highpower RC Titan II/Dynasoar flights on H-97 (1 min 3 sec)

Posted by burkefj | Jun 06, 2016 @ 12:10 PM | 8,694 Views
Sunday it was 100 degrees out so stayed indoors for the most part. I've always wanted to do a concorde but never have...so I gave it a shot. I started with the tubes/coupler/cone from the Estes Cosmic Interceptor. For the fuse, I angled the rear of one of the tubes with a cut to simulate the tapered concorde rear. I inset the motor tube at the bottom of the cutout, (Motor tube is right above the wing and even with the TE). I was limited on how much of an angled tail I could leave sticking out the back since my tubing was a set length and I knew I had to have sufficient forward length to avoid adding nose weight. I used two spare 1" wide body tube pieces I had to lengthen the center section 2" and left 3" to the rear of the wing as a compromise. I Joined the two body tube pieces and the two main body tubes using a coupler.

I used the basic wing planform from my Arc-Light kit, I adjusted the front of the wing and wingtip shape and mounted the wing on the bottom of the tube. I knew the added wingtip area would move the CG back about 3/8" which would help cg. I slotted and installed a concord-ish vertical tail which was large enough to give me lateral stability. I added some support gussets in the wing/tube joint to give extra gluing area. The receiver is mounted at the front of the body tube using velcro, and the single cell lipo is mounted just inside the shoulder of the nose cone. I removed the base of the nose cone so I could mount the...Continue Reading